Author Topic: Old violin case  (Read 4486 times)

Yohansen

• View Profile
Old violin case
« on: August 07, 2014, 07:02:56 am »
Hey all!
I just found this old violin case wich my great grandfather owned. Inside is an old violin wich unfortunately is broken, but all the pieces is wrapped in plastic. However, I'm most curios about the case wich seems to be in good condition considering the age.
It has some writing in the front. I'm having trouble reading the top line, but it says "Anno1850" at the bottom.

Any information about this case would be most appreciated.

http://postimg.org/gallery/47vwbyq2/

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: Old violin case
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 08:40:37 am »
Did your relatives come from Norway?  The case appears to be decorated in a Telemarken style of Norwegian rosemaling.

Yohansen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 09:08:43 am »
Yes, from the west coast of Norway. I've searched all over for a similar case with no luck, so I guess that makes this kind of unique. There is no labels or names on it except the writing in the front. And from the looks of it, it may be as old as from 1850. Any opinions on that? I must say this find is rather exciting :) . Thank you.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 11:08:26 am »
What a beautiful piece!  A definite family heirloom.  The wooden storage box was the "cheaper" way to go in the 16C - 18C.  Yours is not the basic brown one in that it has the ornate top piece and hand painting.  Even tho the violin is broken...the sentimentality of the beautifully aged piece is invaluable.  Even if you sold it as is (which I hope you don't) there would be someone to buy it for the artistic value of the piece!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 11:10:13 am »
That would be correct on the date !! But what about the violin ??  Most all are marked on the interior !! Some of these can be expensive,, might be worth having it restored !! There are several forums specifically on violins !! The bow is another thing !! Some of those can bring as much as the violin depending on the maker !!
I can not get the photo site to open for me so I can not see the case !!

Yohansen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 12:14:42 pm »
What I do know is that this isn't a family made case. It has the surname "Johnsen" on it, wich isn't a family name. My grandmother wanted to thrash it, so I'm luck I managed to save this gem. The paintings look very very much like telemark rose painting. The violin is a copy of giovan paolo maggini violin made in germany.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 12:38:07 pm »
And is there a bow ??

Yohansen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 12:44:54 pm »
I'm going back tomorrow and see if the bow is there. I'll let you know

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 12:46:40 pm »
Excellent,, please do let me know !!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 03:26:24 pm »
VERY neat case! Looks like "John (middle initial) Johnsen" to me. If you know where your grandparents are from, I would look for this name on census records for 1850
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 05:07:44 pm »
What I do know is that this isn't a family made case. It has the surname "Johnsen" on it, wich isn't a family name. My grandmother wanted to thrash it, so I'm luck I managed to save this gem. The paintings look very very much like telemark rose painting. The violin is a copy of giovan paolo maggini violin made in germany.

Did some looking around and it seems that some of the copies even up to 1900 are selling at around $2000. or more depending on several things !!  What exactly does yours say on the inside ??

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 11:54:02 pm »
Despite the terrible damage, a very good luthier (violin repair guy) might be able to put a replacement top on it. I would at least let a good luthier look at it, then consider what it would cost to fix versus what it is worth.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 07:37:35 am »
I agree,, even if only because of the family connection !!

Yohansen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 11:10:04 am »
I looked for a bow but it's missing. I've asked some experts and sent them some pictures and hopefully I'll find out more about this mystery case and where it comes from. Someone was almost 100% sure it was made in the New York area, because of the similar looks. So I'm getting closer :) .
Anyone know what this could be worth in this condition?
Here is a picture of the violin label and a close up of the writings on the case.

http://postimg.org/image/44tf6hwxv/
http://postimg.org/image/77wrdbmrp/

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 03:02:42 pm »
... I've asked some experts and sent them some pictures and hopefully I'll find out more about this mystery case and where it comes from. Someone was almost 100% sure it was made in the New York area, because of the similar looks. So I'm getting closer :) ...
I would suggest that you send pictures to the Vesterheim Museum and get their opinion.
http://collections.vesterheim.org/items/show/39
I see no reason to think that the case was not made in Norway and is right and honest in every way. To me, the wood appears to be Spruce, which would be correct.

The fiddle would probably date 40+ years (at least after the 1891 McKinley Act requiring country of origin markings) later than when the case was made and painted.
Here's some interesting reading on German fiddles:
http://www.allthingsstrings.com/layout/set/print/News/Interviews-Profiles/German-Factory-Fiddles-The-Mystery-of-Origin