Author Topic: Baker Buffet Table  (Read 1200 times)

Knudmt

• View Profile
Baker Buffet Table
« on: August 07, 2014, 05:43:21 pm »
I found this piece at a storage unit auction. Turns out its a Baker Buffet Table! A local antique dealer has approached me to purchase the item. But I'm unsure of its worth. It would definitely need some love. The top of the table is a little rough, but the face is pretty mint. Any thoughts on a fair price to sell it for? there is a metal tag in the middle draw that says Baker, Allegean (probably misspelled) Mi, based on the tag it is circa 1935-1940.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Baker Buffet Table
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 07:55:00 pm »
How much damage ?? Looks like maple & walnut  !!  Your date is about right !! Latter half of art deco period !!  The Federal style of Sheraton/Hepplewhite with the tapered legs & pulls is a classic but the two tone woods make it look very Art Deco !! Baker is quality furniture but have not checked prices lately !! Much depends on condition & where you are located !! Its a nice little buffet table !!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 07:54:48 pm by mart »

Knudmt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 08:48:18 pm »
Thanks for the reply!! I have to admit the longer this piece sits in my house the more I like it. The damage is mostly superficial like scratches in the surface. But a piece of the top did chip off. :-( I have attached a picture. Looks like it has been moved around a few times. I do have the chipped piece in the drawer in case it could be fixed. I'm in birmingham Alabama. I'm not sure how strong the market is here for antiques.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 07:36:12 pm »
Don`t know how this got so far down the list !! That little piece is an easy fix !! Just try not to break off any if the sharp pieces on the edge !! Elmers wood glue (applied with a Q-Tip) and slide it into place,, you have about 15 minute work time to fit it in !! Then take a thin wood block and place on top of the repair and secure with a C clamp for 5 minutes !!  Then take the clamp off and see if any glue squeezed out,, if so a damp cloth to remove the excess glue, then re-do the wood block and C clamp for 2 or 3 hours !! Take all that off & polish the dark woods with Old English scratch cover and plain old lemon oil for the light parts !! Will look like a new one !!
If its advertised right,, it will sell !! Just not sure how the market is in your area !!