Author Topic: Desk? Table? Buffet?  (Read 1550 times)

ccchhhrrriiisss

• View Profile
Desk? Table? Buffet?
« on: August 13, 2014, 11:17:09 am »
I obtained this piece from an office in Palo Alto, California.  The office administrator had no idea what it was, where it came from or how old it is.  She said that this piece was in the building when her company purchased the building. The company that was in the building previously said the same thing.

It is in great shape other than signs of age (e.g., some slight board separation on top and at some seams, drawers don't go in/out too easily, fading stain, slight scratches and light watermarks, etc...).

Any idea as to what type of piece this is or how old that it might be?  

:)

mart

• View Profile
Re: Desk? Table? Buffet?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 06:48:34 pm »
Can you please take the drawer out and take a good pic of the dovetails on the front and if possible one of the underside of the table ?? Just one end so we can see how its made !!  Can you tell me the type of business that was there before ??  Looks like a simple hall or console table frequently used in offices !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 09:30:20 pm »
Is it a two-sided table?  In other words....  Is it only finished on the ends and one side? (as if it would go up next to a wall) or is it finished on both sides (have drawer on the other side as well as if it would sit out in the open)?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ccchhhrrriiisss

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 11:23:00 am »
I just noticed the replies today.  I will try and photograph the drawers this evening.  I believe that the company that was once located in the building was once a real estate office.  I would have to make a call and find out.

Is it a two-sided table?  In other words....  Is it only finished on the ends and one side? (as if it would go up next to a wall) or is it finished on both sides (have drawer on the other side as well as if it would sit out in the open)?

It is finished all around.  However, the "back" does not have any drawers and doesn't have the central arch either.  This made me think that it was some sort of writing desk or office console table. If it is a console table, it is a bit large (~5.5 ft long by ~2 ft wide). It is also heavy (all real wood) but I am not certain what types of wood are used.  However, the "underside" areas, portions of the legs and other areas that are "out of sight" aren't stained.

Even if it isn't particularly old, it is still a nice and useful piece.  I was originally searching for a sewing table for my wife, but we're using it as more of a writing desk.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 12:42:06 pm »
That's a pretty typical size for an office as most were against a wall just to fill in bare spots and usually had a floral centerpiece as you have it and maybe a photo or two !!