Author Topic: Help with large porcelain bisquit group with napoleon  (Read 2594 times)

micaela

• View Profile
Help with large porcelain bisquit group with napoleon
« on: August 13, 2014, 07:48:58 pm »
Hi, I buy this large porcelain bisquit group. Includ napoleon figure. Please I need know anithing about this pieze. Take a signatuire and number.

Regards
Mica

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Help with large porcelain bisquit group with napoleon
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 09:44:04 pm »
Not familiar with this particular mark and couldn't find it in my resources.

Believe the picture is posted upside down and should be a S over crossed swords.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 10:48:38 pm »
Have you tried contacting Chris Marshall about this piece? He is very knowledgeable about porcelain. Here is his contact page from his Porcelain Marks and More web site: http://www.porcelainmarksandmore.com/site/email.php
I'm afraid I can't be of much help, but WOW! The level of detail on that piece looks beautiful to my untrained eyes!

Antiqueaholic in recovery

Chris_Marshall

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 03:00:12 am »
As most people know, I like to drop in the one or other additional tip instead of simply giving an ID. Hence I will answer here so that those people reading this question might pick up a few things, adding to their own (already impressive) general knowledge.

Shown item was made by Porzellanmanufaktur A.W.F. Kister GmbH from the town of Scheibe-Alsbach in the region of Thuringia, Germany (rather "East Germany", the "German Democratic Republic" at that time). The factory history is included on my site, see here:

http://www.porcelainmarksandmore.com/germany/thuringia/scheibe-01/index.php

As noted on that page, this specific marking form was used between 1925 and around 1945. The idea of such a different-colored addition was of course borrowed from the Czech factory in Duchcov (former Dux) which used the additional pink triangle mark. Anyway, the proprietors of the factory in Scheibe-Alsbach used this form of marking on the high-quality item series only. Now, please hold in mind that this mark form is not simply painted in a different color but consists of different colored porcelain mass (which is very easy to identify).

However, there are items around which show the same 'lump', this time in white and "included in the mold". These items are illegal copies (illegal reproductions) made by creating a reproduction mold from an original figure. These copies (due to shrinkage during the creation process) are always slightly smaller than the originals, may show some type of 'warping' (limbs may appear in funny angles, etc.), and also show a minor loss in detail. As the 'white lump' was a dead giveaway, later versions of these copies had the lump *painted* blue ...

Ergo: blue "added lump" is an original, white (or blue painted) "included lump" is an illegal copy. So the figure shown here is (of course) an original ;)

And before you ask: I personally never comment on value, for various reasons. I have tried to explain the general problem in my essay located at http://www.porcelainmarksandmore.com/resources/essays/question-value.php.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 01:45:32 pm »
Thanks for that information Chris! Very interesting and I learned a lot as always!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 03:14:01 pm »
Totally agree Talesof!  Thanks Chris for a very enlightening n detailed reply.  Always a pleasure to learn!

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

micaela

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 08:29:01 am »
Thanks for the info!!!!!