Author Topic: Hukin & Heath Silver  (Read 1599 times)

bnkwolf

• View Profile
Hukin & Heath Silver
« on: August 15, 2014, 02:50:19 pm »
My mother has this silver piece that we have very limited information on other than it was purchased from an antique store in New York about 50-60 years ago. We are mainly curious as to what it is and what it was used for?

mart

• View Profile
Re: Hukin & Heath Silver
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 08:06:02 pm »
Does it have a glass liner ?? I have seen butter dishes made this way !! How big is it ??

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 12:35:45 am »
Hukin & Heath silverplate mark. 

Can you please give the dimensions of the over all piece and then the dimensions of the covered dish part (minus legs).

Also, same question as Mart asked....is there a glass liner for this?  Does it have any "wear marks inside" that would suggest it had at one time a liner?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

wilhenri

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 08:10:14 am »
I am sure this is an Egg Coddler and there should be a spirit burner in the little circular tray at the bottom. Have a look here http://www.silvercollection.it/dictionaryeggframe.html Hukin and heath are a well known Silversmths and in the early 20th century specilised in pieces designed by Sir Christopher Dresser.
It looks like the frame that sat inside to hold the eggs is missing....But nice thing with lots of modern day uses.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 08:12:28 am by wilhenri »
Live as if you are to die tomorrow and learn as if you are to live forever
Mahatma Gandhi

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 12:35:54 pm »
Well I`ll be darned !!  Would never have thought of that but I think your right !! Here is a Karma point for you !!  I would not have guessed !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 04:43:29 pm »
Great job Wilhenri!!!!  Nailed it!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!