Author Topic: Mystery classic style bronze(?) urn  (Read 1040 times)

Cygnet77

• View Profile
Mystery classic style bronze(?) urn
« on: August 15, 2014, 03:16:30 pm »
Hi, first time poster here. I bought this smallish trophy urn yesterday at a local thrift shop because I liked its patina. There's no markings on it anywhere. I think it's bronze. It's fairly heavy and it has specks of turquoise color. They put price stickers on it and when I peeled them some of the rust color came off revealing more blue. It doesn't attract magnet so I know it's not iron. I think the spot where I touched turned darker from the oil in my finger. Does this sound like bronze? I like the mystery of it because it looks like it could've been made for pier 1  a week ago or it could be older but I have no idea. Let me know  anything that might be relevant.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Mystery classic style bronze(?) urn
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 05:10:30 pm »
Hi there and welcome to the forum !!  Bronze should not turn because of that !! Other metals that are patinated bronze might !! Can you take a pic of the bottom please and if possible take a nail or something like that and scrape a small spot on the bottom and see if it is a silvery metal under the surface color !!

Cygnet77

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 06:12:31 pm »
Hi and thank you! I did scrape a bit on the bottom corner and you were right! A bit of silvery metal was underneath. It was also suspicious to find tiny tiny bubble impression on the handle (on 2nd pic) as if some chemical was used probably to artificially age it. Thank you for the great tip!!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 07:50:03 pm »
Thought it might be white metal !! They used to make a lot of items and bronzed them !!  True bronze is usually cast molded and will be one continuous pour !! Same color throughout !! In older bronze the tone will deepen and look richer than some newer pieces !! Occassionally the most handled parts or the areas where it is dusted/wiped to clean it can develop a honey gold tone !! It will be heavy for its size !! If you look at the handles on yours,, you can see the rough edges at the top,,you will not find that on bronze !!