Author Topic: Need help identifying an old pipe  (Read 1932 times)

Morphium

• View Profile
Need help identifying an old pipe
« on: August 20, 2014, 02:11:47 pm »
I was sold this pipe by someone who runs an antique shop saying they bought it from an estate of some sort in New York, but it was originally from somewhere Asian. They dated it as between 1880 and the early 1900s. They said it was an opium pipe. In my experience and research, it is not an opium pipe but a pipe used for basically anything else. I have only seen the typical opium pipes (long with the attached pieces that have the smaller hole) , I really don't know much about pipes, I really like it despite what it's used for. I'm wondering if anyone could help me figure out what it could be used for and how old it might be? Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 02:26:04 pm by Morphium »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Need help identifying an old pipe
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 03:05:52 pm »
Can you tell what it is made of ??

Morphium

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 04:29:22 pm »
Can you tell what it is made of ??

I believe it is made of metal of some sort. The bowl is pretty dense like iron but not heavy like iron; the inside is black and has a clay-like feel. Black dust like stuff comes out of the bowl when I touch it. I have no idea how to clean it either, I only know how to clean modern pipes (when you know the material and it's new), I don't know how to clean antique pipes made of unknown material.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 08:04:44 pm »
Here is a grouping of Asian pipes you can compare yours to. I really don't see anything that is similar in design.
http://asiatribalarts.com/tobacciana/smoking-pipes/

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 08:29:28 pm »
I'd say the origin of you cool little pipe is Thailand (formerly known as Siam) .

The metal on the stem & lid may be the common alloy of silver used during the later years in 'Siam' .

The bowl looks to be either fired clay or carved stone .

Such pipes were used in Thailand for smoking tobbacco , 'medicinal' herbs & sometimes (in a pinch , I guess) for opium .
One giveaway for opium pipes of unusual design is to look & see if the motif represents the flower pod of the opium poppy (sometimes with a dragon) .

My best guess on the age of yours would be very early 20th century , Morphium .

I'll strongly suggest that you don't clean your pipe , so as to preserve its' patina !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

Morphium

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 11:50:02 pm »
Thank you for the links and advice! There was also another opium pipe the same antique dealer was selling. I was interested in this one as well (I have a huge interest in the history of drug culture and whatnot), but it's very very tiny, about maybe 5 inches long. Very thin. The bowl is incredibly small. I did not actually see it from the top (was looking in the cabinet). I believe the hole is probably tiny as it is on typical opium pipe bowls. I don't know if you have any idea about it or it's origin, but if so that would be really helpful because I don't want to purchase it unless I know something or other about it so I can find out more and not be stuck with an item I know nothing about. The dealer has a website, and it's listed online as being from the mid 1800s. That is really all I know about it. I will include the three photos the dealer posted online, really good closeups but in person it's tiny.