Author Topic: Hekman drop leaf coffee table  (Read 3723 times)

chief c

• View Profile
Hekman drop leaf coffee table
« on: August 23, 2014, 09:03:34 am »
Hello everyone, I found this site while trying to research a Hekman dropleaf coffee table I recently purchased.  I have read all the recent posts concerning Hekman furniture it has helped greatly Thank You!  I read the post concerning the type of stickers (paper vs transfer), but unfortunately could not see them because they have been removed?

In short this is what I need assistance with:
1. Age (I personally think it is 1920's) based upon what I have researched and the "paper label".
2. Worth, this seems to be all over the place.
3. The table was missing one of the casters under the claw foot. Anyone have an original spare or can point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance and hopefully Ill be able to return the favor down the road.

Chief C
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 10:23:32 pm by KC »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Hekman drop leaf coffee table
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 09:21:43 am »
There is such a glare on that pic we can`t tell much about it !! Can we get a better one with the drawers closed, and one of the dovetails on the drawers, the feet and the label ?? I know its a lot but we cannot make a determination just looking at the top of any piece of furniture !! Thanks !!

chief c

• View Profile
Hekman drop leaf table assistance
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 09:27:45 am »
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 10:19:14 pm by KC »

chief c

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 09:30:53 am »
Mart, my appologies, but I thought I had lost this post so I created a new one and lo and behold it did post with only one pic.  The upload button is tricky and will not allow me to upload multiple pics.  Ill figure it out or simply add the pics, thanks!

mart

• View Profile
Sorry you had problems but that often happens !! But we are patient !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Hope it is okay Chief c...but went ahead and merged the two posts together since you had photos on both!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

chief c

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 07:02:19 am »
No worries KC, thank you for the assist. After military retirement I moved into the IT sector, so I fully understand. I believe the important things I learned during my first posting which I can share are.

1. Be patient after hitting post, it takes a Little bit.
2. If you do not like using photo bucket or similar free software to re-size pics simply select your pics on pc, right click choices, select send to (mail recipient [i.e. Outlook]), choose size (large or original is best) and it automatically re-sizes them to around 60 kb average. Then simply copy and paste them into new folder and you can upload them from there.  Be carefull, if you save them into the same folder it will replace your original pictures.  I usually create a folder named uploaded pics.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 06:42:01 pm »
Thanks for the tips for all to read!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 07:24:07 pm »
Still waiting for the dovetail pics, feet and the label !! Also need to see the dropleaf supports if possible !!  Pretty sure this coffee table is  1940`s repro but need these additional pics !!  Bits and pieces were taken from Duncan Phyfe designs and put on many pieces of furniture back then !! Would be rare to see those feet caps from 1920 !! Chippendale, yes but Phyfe,, don`t think so !! 

chief c

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 11:12:15 am »
Mart, sorry for the delay in responding work has been a PIA.  With regards to the table I am not lucky enough to run across a top shelf antique, but Ill keep trying.  The desk drawers are not dovetailed and I have enclosed a pic of the feet and label.  If a a reproduction what do you think value is?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 12:53:36 pm »
http://www.furniturecityhistory.org/company/3625/hekman-furniture-co

Scroll down here and you can see the labels used from 1922 to 1970`s !! In the 20`s they used a shield shape sticker !! The round ones were used in the 40`s and again in the 70`s !! Just wanted to double check !!
And the caster should be an easy find on ebay and not expensive !! Many times they have several casters for one price !! Just have to look and find the right one !! Take one out,, it may have a name on it,, you will need to check the size anyway !!  And value in vintage furniture has little to do with dollars and cents !! The value is if you like it or not !! If you do, then its value is whatever it is worth to you !!

chief c

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 07:53:24 pm »
Mart,

Thank you, you are great. It is amazing how good the experts like yourself on this site are. I visited this site but, didnt find anything related to the labels, yet you did.  KUDO's (military for well done)!
Thank you very much again,
r,
Jorge 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 09:10:27 am »
Hubby is 20 year U.S. Army retired DV !!  Although that term was not used when he was active,, I can figure most of the new ones out !!  ;D  Are you keeping the table or selling it ??

chief c

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 06:32:48 am »
Mart,

Well thank him for his service for me. I called it quits after 21 yrs I could not bear seeing the changes (14 yrs ago).

The table was part of a packaged deal along with the child high back chair. I have made zero progress on the chair, but a buddy up north may have a good lead on the maker. As for the table I have no need for it and will probably sell it at an antique flee market I visit when the Admiral gets on me for collecting too much "stuff". Why?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 03:29:55 pm »
Hubby retired in 1971, many more changes since then !! Not favorable either !!
If you are going to sell the table just use some Old English dark oil !! Will hide any scratches and make it look great !! Try to keep it off the trim on top border !! Can`t see it well but you want the difference in  color to stay bright !!  Is it done in gold ??