Author Topic: Child High Back Cane Rocking Chair  (Read 1478 times)

chief c

• View Profile
Child High Back Cane Rocking Chair
« on: August 23, 2014, 10:18:12 am »
Hello everyone, Along with the Hekman table I uncovered an absolutely beautiful Childs High Back Cane seat chair.  I have seen childs chairs before, but this one is different it has very good lines and is in very good condition with the exception of a stain on the cane seat.  The hardware and gnarled wood cut finish on the underside leads me to believe this may be an old chair. I would like to see if I can get assistance with identifying the maker and age?   Does anyone know of any stain removal recipes or tricks for cane weave cleaning? 

Thanks in advance,

R,
Chief C 

mart

• View Profile
Re: Child High Back Cane Rocking Chair
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 11:23:57 am »
Why do you think its a childs chair ??  There were many small rockers for ladies !! What is the size of this one from floor to seat and floor to top !!

chief c

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 06:05:40 pm »
Hello Mart,

I cant say with 100% accuracy, but it is very small.

The measurements are as follows:
29" Tall Overall
28" Deep Overall
14" Seat Height
16" Seat Width
14" Seat Depth

Thanks for the help.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 06:49:04 pm »
Those dimensions are getting close to some of the vintage sewing rockers of the era.
http://www.bargainjohn.com/product/antique-mission-oak-rocking-chair-made-by-stickley-brothers/

chief c

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 07:23:50 pm »
Rauville,

Thanks for the information, something to think about. Would my presumption that there are actually Youth sized chairs aside from Adult and Childs?  How or can we find out how much the chair in your link sold for? Ill take a closer look at the underside for any markings.

Thanks again!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 08:26:21 pm »
Yes there were child size chairs and this may be one !!  The child size chairs were made as well as the adult chairs and in the style of the time !! There are little differences except the size in most of them !!  They also made specialty chairs for everything !! Slipper chairs. nursing chairs, sewing chairs ect many of which were small !! Your first post didn`t give the size that's why I asked !!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 07:29:13 pm by mart »