Author Topic: Help - Wood Mission Style Lamp  (Read 1517 times)

kristeestew

• View Profile
Help - Wood Mission Style Lamp
« on: August 26, 2014, 11:50:02 am »
I am new and am hoping to get some help with a lamp I found at an estate sale near downtown Chicago earlier this year. 

The lamp is a hexagon shape and solid wood.  The light fixture is brass with two pull chain sockets.  It has brass spacers and a brass finial.  One socket works one does not.  I am able to rewire it but not sure if I should. 

Thanks in advance for your help!

mart

• View Profile
Re: Help - Wood Mission Style Lamp
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 01:25:31 pm »
Can you remove the shade and take a pic of the top also look on the lamp socket and see if there is a mfrs name !! Sometimes you will find a patent date or number too !! Is anything on the bottom of it !! Looks like a mid century floor lamp that just happens to look Mission style !! Most all the Mission pieces would be done in oak !!  Can`t tell if this is oak or not !!  The finish is darker than would be typical for the style !!  Could be just the pics that look darker !!

kristeestew

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 02:35:53 pm »
Can you remove the shade and take a pic of the top also look on the lamp socket and see if there is a mfrs name !! Sometimes you will find a patent date or number too !! Is anything on the bottom of it !! Looks like a mid century floor lamp that just happens to look Mission style !! Most all the Mission pieces would be done in oak !!  Can`t tell if this is oak or not !!  The finish is darker than would be typical for the style !!  Could be just the pics that look darker !!

Thanks, no numbers on the socket.  I do believe it is quarter sawn oak. The finish appears darker in the photos than it is.  I appreciate your help!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 02:40:19 pm by kristeestew »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 03:54:58 pm »

It does not hurt the lamp value to rewire it !!  Unless its a Tiffany, Handel ect !!  Then let a pro do it !!

i

kristeestew

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 04:01:42 pm »

It does not hurt the lamp value to rewire it !!  Unless its a Tiffany, Handel ect !!  Then let a pro do it !!

Any idea on value?  Date? Thanks

i

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 06:53:44 pm »
I looked up the name on your light socket,, as I said it is a mid century floor lamp that just looks a bit like mission style !! The socket was patented in 1949 so would have to have been made after that !!  I think late 50`s or early 60`s !!  The drum style shade would also date it to that era !!  Value $50. to $65. !!