Poll

where do i go from here?

get an appraisal?
0 (0%)
just keep it?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Large collection of antique documents,checks,deeds,diarys,letters 1829-1889  (Read 4460 times)

waderonnie

• View Profile
I have inherited my grandfather's collection he had been keeping in a large metal box that I didn't even know he had.
All mainly surrounds a man by the name of A. McGlashan and his copper and brass works and all manner of engine components. A. McGlashan was dealing with very large sums of money up with checks in his name up to £5000, in today's money that is in the millions and really is something. There are a number of ledgers detailing all expenses paid including his general wares even down to the whiskey he brought each month from glenlivit distillery. There are hundreds of letter written to him by about two dozen different names and some written from him. There are cheque books with all the used checks accounted for, and unused cheque book. Deeds of partnerships. Tho is a very complex collection.
It is filled with a large collection of letters, account books, receipts, banking checks, deeds, diarys, penny red stamped letters and a whole lot more mostly it is all dated between 1829 to 1888. It's been locked in a metal box for God knows how long and is in a very good condition considering its age.

I am really not sure where to go with it from here. Maybe I need a appraisal maybe not I don't really know as I am no expert on this. But I do have a feeling the contents would be very valuable to a collector for this kind of thing.

Any help appreciated.

Photos here is just a fraction of what is in the box.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 03:43:51 am by waderonnie »

cogar

• View Profile
Re: large box of banking documents,checks,deeds,diarys,letters 1829-1889
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 06:25:14 am »
Yes, I think you need an apprasial.

A rare stamp or a signature (autograph) could be valuable.

waderonnie

• View Profile
box full of documents 1800's diarys, letters, deeds, ledgers
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 11:16:27 am »
I have inherited my grandfather's collection he had been keeping in a large metal box that I didn't even know he had.

It is filled with a large collection of letters, account books, receipts, banking checks, deeds, diarys, penny red stamped letters and a whole lot more mostly it is all dated between 1829 to 1888. It's been locked in a metal box for God knows how long and is in a very good condition considering its age.

I am really not sure where to go with it from here. Maybe I need a appraisal maybe not I don't really know as I am no expert on this. But I do have a feeling the contents would be very valuable to a collector for this kind of thing.

Any help appreciated.

Photos here is just a fraction of what is in the box

benbenny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 11:14:29 am »
Last pictures are indentures, mortgages, etc.  These were printed or written on vellum (animal skin) and some had attached seals.
The blue and grey embossed tax stamps on the documents are not that valuable.
I have hundreds of these and some with printed value's reaching £50. 
Its a really small collectors market and values of the stamps around £1 till £7-8.
Documents on vellum are fairly common in UK boot-sales and go for circa £5-10 each.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 12:57:07 pm »
Except for the stamps you need to ask,, what kind of collector would be interested in your family history !!  Just look through for signatures with some historical significance and check values on the stamps !!  The stamps would be the more likely part to have value !!

waderonnie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 02:17:41 pm »
This is not my family history, and the photos I have shown are what my untrained eye thought looked most important. In this box also was hundreds of letters written from around two dozen different people. Detailed ledgers from expenses from work or general wares, journals, partnership deeds, baptism sheets, news paper clipping and it is all pretty much based on a man's life work (A. McGlashan) also there is a A. English and a Mr Mote names that surface a lot as well. It's not just a rabble of papers it is a very complex and detailed compilation of a life's work. I have not had this collection long and I'm just getting myself acquainted with what it all means. As I said the photos are a tiny fraction of what is here, it would take a month to show all that is here.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 02:19:33 pm by waderonnie »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 03:55:30 pm »
Thought you said they were your grandfathers papers,, or did you mean your grandfather just had them in his possession ??

waderonnie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 10:57:06 pm »
He had them in his possession,when he died I found them in his loft in a metal box that didn't have a key, I had to break into the box to see what was inside.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 09:54:22 am »
What was your grandfathers line of work or business ??

waderonnie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 11:57:56 am »
He was a trade worker plasterer, plumber, brick layer and that kind of thing.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 12:51:41 pm »
Then I would wonder if possibly these papers were in the attic when he bought the house !! Since he would not have been alive during that period !!   Many people fail to check attics when they move !! He may not have been aware of their existence !! Or if he was ,, he may have just let it be !!  I would research the house and see who past owners were !!  That is unless your grandfather built the house !!  Or research some of the names you found !!  There has to be a link somewhere !!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 03:35:34 pm »
Don't split it up until you have a better sense of what it is. It sounds like it might be good to keep it all together. The town historical society where this person lived might also be interested in getting scans of some or all of the documents.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 09:10:24 pm »
Totally agree with Talesofthesevenseas!  Find out what you have before you do anything please!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

waderonnie

• View Profile
I could find no link to my grandfather's home. All of the addresses are linked to London, drury lane where his copper and brass company was situated (A. McGlashan & Co ENGINEERS, BRASS FOUNDERS, COPPERSMITHS, &c,&c) some letters are addressed from Gray' s inn south square and some from Perth in Scotland. The vast majority are from the central London area.

mart

• View Profile
What was your grandfathers address ??