Author Topic: Age of these dressers?  (Read 4951 times)

md050600

• View Profile
Age of these dressers?
« on: September 02, 2014, 01:46:04 pm »
I have two similar dressers and was wondering the age and name of this style. Also anyone have info on value?

mart

• View Profile
Re: Age of these dressers?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 07:39:11 pm »
Dresser about 1880 to 1910,, most just call it country style because of the simple lines and minimal decoration !!  Have also heard similar pieces called Country Colonial !!

md050600

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 09:51:10 am »
ok thank you! When I Type in those terms I am still not seeing this style. Do you know where I could find this style online somewhere to compare and see what their value may be?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 01:35:35 pm »
Mart I don't believe you are seeing the top of the dresser with your dial up.  The top is carved and more ornate than Colonial.

Do believe the time period is correct.

MD050600 can you please post a better pic of the top of the piece.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

md050600

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 01:51:07 pm »
Sure thank you! it is quite carved at the top. I realize the rest of it is very basic but wondered if it would be considered country?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 04:40:44 pm »
Yes I saw it KC !!  But since these fit in no other category,, you will find similar types under a lot of names depending on what the seller wants to call it !!  Many country pieces had a bit of decoration but it was not elaborate !! Many had plain wooden pulls but some did have the metal ones !! To say "Country style" does not refer to anything specifically except that most were rather simple pieces outside of the known styles !!  Primitive country is another name used often !!  I am not sure this mirror was originally with the chest !! Looks like many different woods combined here !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 04:46:14 pm »
Can you please post a picture of the back side as well?  AND where the mirror attached to the chest.  Does it appear this is original to it...or are their hole that are larger/smaller configuration that are seen?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 07:36:35 pm »
Does it look that way to you KC ??   Can`t tell if the top is just worn that bad or its the wood grain we are seeing !! 
Also the poster said they had two similar dressers,, would like to see the other one !!  Perhaps the mirrors got mis- matched !!

md050600

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 06:41:19 am »
Sure, I'll have to take a picture later today. I did find a tag or paper on the back of the dresser. From what I can make out it looks like Welch Furniture Co from High point NC. When I looked them up the company was started in 1900. Does this mean anything to you guys? I thought it may help out in determining the age, style and value.

md050600

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 06:50:04 am »
I got both dressers at different times and places. here is a picture of the other one. its a lighter wood.

md050600

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 06:52:49 am »
here is the top of the lighter one and a picture of the tag on the darker one.

md050600

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 06:54:35 am »
sorry last one was the same picture.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 09:58:15 am »
Just the other day I ran across a sale bill advertising an auction I attended back in 1970. The auction was for a hotel that had opened in 1912, and was being razed for a new project. The first item on the sale bill was: 175 MATCHING DRESSERS! The style of those dressers was very much like the ones being discussed here, 3 drawers, square mirror with some "applied trim" across the top frame. Many of them had a false rolled on grain (tiger oak) finish, applied over mixed woods at the factory.

(BTW: The hotel auction was handled by selling each room's complete contents to the highest bidder. For a $30 to $50 bid you received: A dresser, bed, desk, chair, suitcase bench, reading lamp, carpet, curtains, etc. You could even take the door to the room if you wanted. Ahh...the good ol' days! :D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 10:17:22 am »
That rolled on grain is exactly what the top looks like !!  Could well be the source of the dressers !!

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 11:27:38 am »
 Age of Golden Oak, 1900-1920

Eastlake was the last of the Victorian age of walnut, basically walnut was cut to the point where production could not be sustained so oak became the primary wood for furniture at the turn of the century.
Rauville is correct, this is very much like hotel type furniture at the turn of the 20th century, the age of golden oak is better known with the Arts & Craft movement with the Stickley brothers being a leading producer of quality furniture during this time frame.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 12:37:30 pm by jacon4 »