Author Topic: Antique Duparquet Food Prep Tables - What are they Worth?  (Read 2932 times)

Nick Barnabe

• View Profile
Antique Duparquet Food Prep Tables - What are they Worth?
« on: September 03, 2014, 12:27:20 pm »
Hello, my name is Nick and I am new to this forum. I have a couple of old food prep tables that I would like to know more about/get opinions as to what they may be worth. I recently acquired them but they are very big and I don't have room for them so I think it is best that I sell them to someone who will appreciate them. I tried to find similar examples for sale on ebay to get a ballpark estimate of what they go for, but there isn't really anything comparable on there right now. Im also curious as to how old they are. All I know is the stainless steel table has the name Duparquet stamped into it and the drawers are assembled with lead, so it must be fairly old. The wood table does not have any manufacturer name on it but it has the same legs as the stainless table and they both came out of the same kitchen so I can only assume they are about the same age and made by the same manufacturer. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv297/gray92laser/DSC_9059.jpg

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv297/gray92laser/DSC_9057.jpg

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv297/gray92laser/DSC_9055.jpg

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv297/gray92laser/DSC_9052.jpg

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Antique Duparquet Food Prep Tables - What are they Worth?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 01:29:45 pm »
Nick, it depends where you are and what the market is willing to pay where you are.

You can describe the wooden one as a baker's butchers wooden top table.  These are popular not not only for kitchen use but for crafters and workshops.

The downfall with the wooden one would be the weight I imagine...because they older ones are H E A V Y.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Nick Barnabe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 04:56:38 pm »
Thank you KC. I live in Boston and it seems like there is a pretty strong market for antique tables like this. I see a lot of old industrial furniture like these tables being used in coffee shops in the city as well as other places. It is still difficult to determine a ballpark value for them though because after doing lots of research i have found that pricing for similar examples are all over the place. What qualities in a table like these could make the value vary from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 06:07:45 pm »
Nick, your drawered piece has seen alot of work days and most likely won't be picked up by anyone for a working kitchen...but like you said there are so many coffee shops, sandwich shops, businesses that may pick up pieces like this.  Being in Boston, the wharf areas like work horses like these pieces as well.

Do you have any idea of where these were used?  Sometimes people like to know the background and it can help sell items.

I would search Craig's list in your area and see what a comparable piece would go for.

Although the wooden piece is heavy, I have seen them sell better than the total stainless because they are so versatile and have such great character with all the "scars" of the years!  Also, if anyone wants to refinish the top that is an option.  In my neck of the woods, the drawered piece would sell (by an individual without a store front)  for $250 - $375 easily and the wooden one would sell for $350 - $800 easily. 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 06:19:56 pm »
Looks more like silver solder (which is what should be used in 'food prep/service' stainless steel) than lead ... you could take something kinda sharp , like an ice pick , or a nail & see if you 'dent' it with moderated pressure ... if it does not penetrate the mass , it's not lead (which is a good thing , if planning on selling it for food service/restaurant work) .
Not really the neatest torch work that I've ever seen , but if it's silver soldered, no big deal !

You might check around your area for a used restaurant supply house , for they may have sim. articles to get an idea on their prices over there in bean-town .
Here in Seattle , used ones sorta like yours would sell for around $250-350.

If you took the time to salt , scrape down , bleach & mineral-oil your wooden-top table , it would fetch around $400-$600 here , from a buyer who needed one !.

Boston has the beans , Seattle has the sound !
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 06:25:14 pm by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

Nick Barnabe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 07:01:12 pm »
Thank you guys for your input. I now have a starting point for pricing these.

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 01:49:18 pm »
Well, I would not waste my time on any public place that serves food to the public, none of these tables would pass health dept inspection. That said, industrial type tables are kinda "in" these days so to the right client, very sellable.

Nick Barnabe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 05:21:26 pm »
Well, I would not waste my time on any public place that serves food to the public, none of these tables would pass health dept inspection. That said, industrial type tables are kinda "in" these days so to the right client, very sellable.

I think i am going to try to sell them locally as "industrial furniture" pieces and see if there is any interest. I am hoping that a coffee shop or other store will want to repurpose them.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 06:29:35 pm »
Let us know how it goes!  Best of luck!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 02:55:00 pm »
In the NY area these pieces would bring top dollar as urban primitive or industrial. With loft space and converted warehouse space being sold for insane prices per square foot, young urbanites would fight over these. Everyone wants a working kitchen today that can take abuse. Anthropology would most likely ask 500.00 or more.