Author Topic: Enterprise Coffee Grinder and Antique Morris Chair  (Read 2101 times)

Nick Barnabe

• View Profile
Enterprise Coffee Grinder and Antique Morris Chair
« on: September 08, 2014, 07:42:15 pm »
I have a couple antiques that have been hanging around in the basement and wanted to know more about them. The first is a coffee grinder made by Enterprise mfg. company in Philadelphia. It looks like it is complete and has original paint that is in very good condition aside from some rust on the base. The other item is what I believe to be a Morris chair. I cannot find any manufacturer tags on it. I would say the chair itself is in pretty rough condition and needs a full restoration. The cushions are in good shape with only minor stains and a couple missing buttons. The arm rests are not glued down and although it seems all the decorative pegs along the sides are there, they must have fallen out at one point and are now in the incorrect order which is a problem because they are all different lengths. Any info on these items regarding value or otherwise would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: Enterprise Coffee Grinder and Antique Morris Chair
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 09:10:27 pm »
It doesn't make a big difference in value, but the "coffee grinder" is actually a "grist mill" used for grain and feed grinding. With the nice original paint it's a rarity.
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMTQy/z/9HUAAMXQUY1RBCSW/$(KGrHqZ,!pYFDZ65vPEMBRBCSVU6 Jg~~60_57.JPG
In order to make it functional you will have to find or make a screw and lock nut to adjust the burr inside (see the above catalog cut).

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 11:55:34 pm »
Are there any markings or tags on your chair anywhere?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 02:07:50 am »
Right on, a "grist mill".

And in the right locale ...... it will sell for "big" money because the "natural food" fans want them for grinding their own corn meal.

A "natural food" retailer would want one if just for "display" purposes ... or even for a "grind your own meal" thingy.

T'was at a flea market one weekend and one vendor was selling "fresh ground corn meal" ...... and he sold every pound of meal he brought with him.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 06:24:57 am »
http://scarboroughmarshfurniture.com/public_html/antique%20morris%20chairs.html

I would send pics here !!  Many mfrs made Morris style chairs !!  Perhaps they will know who made yours !!  I think yours had a footstool with it originally !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 10:38:39 am »
Mart, that is an excellent resource.

Barnabe, I really like your Morris chair, it has so much more character than most Morris Chairs!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 01:16:51 pm »
I like the Morris chair for the same reason. It has an Arts and Crafts look to it. Many sold for a couple dollars in the 1910-1925 era. This one looks like a better piece. I searched a lot on line and can't find another one like it.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 01:31:14 pm by frogpatch »

Nick Barnabe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 05:18:51 pm »
I like the Morris chair for the same reason. It has an Arts and Crafts look to it. Many sold for a couple dollars in the 1910-1925 era. This one looks like a better piece. I searched a lot on line and can't find another one like it.

I have done a good amount of research and can't come up with anything quite like it either.

http://scarboroughmarshfurniture.com/public_html/antique%20morris%20chairs.html

I would send pics here !!  Many mfrs made Morris style chairs !!  Perhaps they will know who made yours !!  I think yours had a footstool with it originally !!

I am definitely going to send them some pictures. I honestly didn't think too much of this chair but after looking into these types of chairs it does seem as though this was a higher-quality example. I really hope they can give me some more info on it because the tags are all long gone if it ever had any. No clue as to who made it.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 05:59:43 pm »
Let us know what you find out!!