Author Topic: Help Identify This Chair Please  (Read 1652 times)

Acadiafun

• View Profile
Help Identify This Chair Please
« on: September 11, 2014, 08:28:36 pm »
Hi I would like some help in identifying this chair. It seems formal, but no so formal or tall to be a throne chair or bishop's chair. But what do I know. :) The wood appears to be quartersawn and it is not terribly heavy. There are springs and burlap for where the seat was upholstered at one time. The carved panels have slightly different panels. The castors are porcelain. There are no nails in the construction but round nails that hold the burlap. The finish looks original.

I think it is late 19th century to early 20th century and mission style. I would like to know more such as how this chair was used, and if it looks to be American made. Also the wood it appears to be made from. The chair does not recline. It is about 36 inches tall. Thanks so much for any information.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Help Identify This Chair Please
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 09:03:51 pm »
It is not Mission style,, it is more in the Craftsman style !!  Its heavier than Mission style furniture but does have the simple plain lines common to both styles !! The Arts & Crafts movement in America was getting away from the busy,heavily carved & ornate furniture & dark woods of the Victorian era !!  Oak was the most prominate wood used !!  Could be from 1890 to late 20`s,,no way to tell for sure !!  The seat looks very low on this chair !!  Many of the chairs with solid backs & sides were used as fireplace chairs sometimes for older people !! The solid surround prevented drafts from the rear !! Much as the early American settle was used !!   No real way to guess how someone chose to use them !! 

Acadiafun

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 07:50:27 pm »
Thanks for the reply! Honestly I have Googled and searched thousands of photos and images and have yet to find one like it. Always somewhat similar but never too close to what I have. I think over a hundred years ago a man or woman with mad skills made this piece. Later it was loved enough to be kept in excellent condition. And then it ended up with me................. ...... lol

So for $80 I could have this in my living room:

Or this (courtesy Ikea):

And this is why I love antiques. :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 08:46:46 pm »
Looks nice there !! I think it found a home !!