Author Topic: California Furn. Shops LTD Pilgrim Finish Table, Captain Chairs & Hutch  (Read 9534 times)

agreeneyes

• View Profile
This dining set with a pilgrim finish was made by California Furniture Shops Ltd.  It was purchased new by my in laws around 1952 and has been in the family ever since.  It's been passed down and it's been used a lot and does have scratches and shows wear with the table top needing to be refinished.  It's a drop leaf design that when fully extended with the two additional leaves is approximately 84 inches long.  The 4 captains chairs marked made in Sweden didn't come with the original table but were purchased at the same time .  I've been unable to find out much information on this company as they are no longer in business.  The information I have been able to obtain states this company was know for making quality furniture and their furniture is worth keeping or refinishing.  I did find some captains chairs identical to mine made in Sweden and the person was asking $1750.00 for the 4.  Would anyone have anymore information on the company and know the possible value of this dining set and if it might be considered a collectible.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 11:44:49 am by agreeneyes »

mart

• View Profile
Re: California Furn. Shops LTD Pilgrim Finish Table, Captain Chairs & Hutch
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 02:36:03 pm »
Pilgrim finish would be their name for the Early American or Colonial line as most called it !! That style chair was made through the 60`s !! Here we can still find the chairs at garage sales although possibly not the same maker !! Is that all the chairs have on them ??
Its a nice set,, I like it !! Although those chairs are really uncomfortable !! My mother and grandmother had the same style !! You don`t sit long after dinner in those,, but they just never wore out !! Good sturdy chairs !!

agreeneyes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 03:50:33 pm »
The chairs are stamped Made In Sweden. I was only able to load 4 pictures so I wasn't able to show the Made In Sweden stamp on the bottom of the chairs.   The California Furn. Stamp is on the hutch.  My mother in law wanted these chairs so she switched out, at the time of purchase, the chairs that originally went with the table for these captain chairs marked made in Sweden.  It appears to be good quality made furniture, the drawer to the hutch is dovetailed.  Would you be able to give me a value of the set, thank you

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 04:15:08 pm »
I just saw a set with table and 6 chairs for $240. with same finish,, Hutch would likely add another $200. !! Problem is even though it was made mid century it is not widely collected and is looked at as just good used furniture !!  It would look great in someones country style house,, but how many people decorate like that today ??  Not many !!  If it were me,, I would just hang on to it and use it !!

agreeneyes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 04:26:15 pm »
I don't need any of this furniture so I'm looking to sell it.  The asking price for the Captain chairs I've seen on ebay is $250.00-$450.00 ea.  These were made in Sweden and the ones I've seen identical to mine the asking price for 4 of these is $1750.00.  Do these chairs increase the value of the set at all?  Thank you

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 05:48:43 pm »
No they do not help at all !!   Rather than looking at asking prices,, go see if any sold !!  Thats the thing that's important,,!!  People always ask ridiculous prices on ebay but asking price and selling price are very different !!  If you will look on the left column you can look at completed sales on ebay in the category your chairs are in !!  That will tell you what was actually paid for them !!

agreeneyes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 06:41:58 pm »
Appreciate the information thank you

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 07:55:03 pm »
Give a link for the chairs you found on ebay !! I am not finding any except the 6 black chairs at $79. for all !!

agreeneyes

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 10:03:30 pm »
It wasn't ebay it was http://www.4antiquefurniture.com.  I entered captains chairs made in Sweden and this website came up and I found chairs identical to mine.  The person is asking $1750.00 for the 4.  Thank you

agreeneyes

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 09:00:22 am »
There is also a website called Worthpoint you have to be a member to view how much an item has sold for .  There is a hutch by the same company and same finish similar to mine on their site  that sold but it has glass doors on top so it's referred to as a china cabinet.  As I'm not a member I'm unable to see how much it sold for, but normally from what I've been able to view items listed on this site are collectible.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2014, 09:38:06 am »
The chairs are not oak,, they are maple !! Both Worthpoint and the site you gave are just selling sites !!  I have seen many things on Worthpoint that are neither antique or collectable !!  The description is whatever the seller wants to put down !!  It is affiliated with Ebay !!  I see you have the set listed on Craigslist at $3000.,,any interest from anyone ??
When someone asks what an item is worth they fail to see if it is even selling anywhere at any price !! An item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it !! No interest means not worth what it is priced at !!  No matter what it lists for in any book or what anyones asking price is,,it goes to actual dollars and cents !!  Its a volatile market and can change tomorrow but you have to look at it in todays prices !!
Back in the 70`s and 80`s Victorian and Empire Revival furniture sold at a great price !! But today you can hardly give it away !! At the same time Mid Century modern usually went in the trash pile,,today it is one of the best sellers !!

agreeneyes

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2014, 11:03:38 am »
I appreciate all of the information and suggestions.  I based my price on what I found on the internet as I'm not an expert.  I did find really good comments on this furniture from people who own it.  This is why I have come to the experts, if I was an expert I wouldn't require your help. Thank you again for all of your expertise and information.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2014, 11:17:52 am »
We know that most are not experts,, nor are many here !! But what we do is to follow the selling trends !!  They are changeable as the weather !!  Most of my experience is with 20th century furniture,,I have watched the market for years and bought and sold many styles when I had my shop and years after !!  We can only tell you what our experience is and has been with any furniture !!  I hope you get what you want for the set but I do not feel that will be the case !! In my opinion the set should sell at around $500. give or take a little !!  Good luck with it and send us a link so we can follow it when you list again !!

agreeneyes

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2014, 11:43:47 am »
I let you know what happens with the furniture, thank you

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2014, 03:51:38 pm »
I will look for it !! Feedback from you and many others helps us keep up with sales !!