Author Topic: Bed crown: Reproduction or antique?  (Read 4152 times)

walktalk

Bed crown: Reproduction or antique?
« on: September 16, 2014, 12:07:02 pm »
I've done a LOT of online research on this bed crown/corona/teester/decorative copy. I can't find another one just like it, which leads me to think it's the real deal. There are no maker marks or origin marks that I can find. The material is hard and heavy. It may be plaster, or it may be heavily coated wood, or...?

The style is Italian, or possibly French. Many detailed photos are here:

http://heidiallen.com/heartfire/crown.htm

Any insights you can provide would be much appreciated!

walktalk

Re: Bed crown: Reproduction or antique?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 12:39:25 pm »
Oops! Diameter is just over 6.5 inches, so if it is a teester, it's for a crib or curtain.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 12:48:28 pm »
FYA (For Your Amusement), this is a great mini history of beds:
http://www.fourposterbed.co.uk/history2.html

I believe you meant to put tester in your post and not a "teester" even tho some have spelled it this way on occasion because that is how it is pronounced.

I would really like to know if this is made of plaster or resin.  My first impression is that it was was in the mid 1900's with the Acanthus and thickness of the piece.  Can you please give the dimensions of the piece?  Weight?  Any place to put a small inconspicuous scratch - plaster will produce the white powder whereas resin will not.

Are there any "tell tale" marks to show it was ever mounted?  Hung?  Used?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 12:51:10 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

walktalk

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 01:41:30 pm »
Thanks for your reply!

I'm starting to think I've really got something special here. Weight is 1 pound, 2.9 ounces. Under a magnifier, I can clearly see wood grain. Scratching with a pin shows a brighter gold, making me think it's actually gilded, rather than just painted. There are no marks of use that I can see, and no hooks for a curtain. This may be a 17th-18th century gilded wooden crown.

Any way to confirm?

BTW, thanks for the correction on "tester". ;)

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 04:33:12 am »
It might have a wood frame (skeleton) with a heavy plaster coating like the old mirror/picture frames. Like so ……

walktalk

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 11:30:43 am »
Cogar, thanks for the idea. However, when I use a pin to dig in, there's no white stuff or powder, just wood. On the other hand, if I scratch the surface, the gold gets much, much brighter, which is why I think it's probably gilt.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 11:55:02 am »
Don`t think it was gilded,, what you are seeing is surface oxidation !! Since gilding is done with gold leaf or otherwise pure gold,, it would not oxidize !! Gold is always the same !! Some gold may wear off but it does not oxidize !!  You can dig up a gold coin after 100 years in the ground and it is still bright and shiny as it was when lost !!

walktalk

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 12:58:48 pm »
Mart, good point. What do you think the coating might be, then?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 05:33:26 pm »
Gold paint has been around for many years, some is 24K gold but very little !! It will eventually oxidize due to the binders and other components thinners and such, as well as the low amount of pure gold !!   And then there is always the possibility that it was not originally gold !!  Many of these were painted and or natural wood !! It may have been redone at some point with a less than quality gold paint !!
I think your topper was used with a 4 poster that had the top rails that extended and curved from each post !!  The curved ends fit into your crown and kept them secure !!

walktalk

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 07:29:13 pm »
Mart, thank you very much. That was excellent info! :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 07:40:09 pm »
My guess is that your topper is Italian !!  It looks correct so not a reproduction but I do think it was redone at some point !! My guess as to date would be about 1920 or so !!

walktalk

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 07:55:12 pm »
Wow, again, great info. Thanks! Would you have any idea what something like that is worth?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 10:55:27 pm »
It reminds me of a Baroque Crown, or Ornamental Coronet that has been used as a decorative element for display and not necessarily for a bed.  Still stick with mid 1900's to possibly later when these got renewed interest.

Similar to these (granted they are not exactly the same):

Here is an example of a decorative French wooden crown that was for display purposes in 18th C
https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/more-furniture-collectibles/carvings/french-18c-carved-wooden-crown/id-f_601760/
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

walktalk

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2014, 02:51:17 pm »
KC, thanks! Yes, I saw those two while doing my research. So far, these are the two closest that I've found:

Italian Louis XV bed crown, circa 1760

http://www.beauchampantiques.com/italian-louis-xv-bed-crown

Early 20Th Century Italian Gilt Wood Bed Corona

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/7855964

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2014, 03:04:35 pm »
If you think that it is an older piece (I cannot tell without holding/seeing it in person) then I would try and find someone local (If I was you) to give an approximate time period for this.  Because it could go for a higher $$ if it is truly older.