Author Topic: fancy strainer signed  (Read 4035 times)

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
Re: fancy strainer signed
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2014, 06:18:47 pm »
hi mart

kc mentioned orchard bowl previously also--I really have to look that up......

just trying to figure out if you put dirt in such a nice bowl

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2014, 06:28:26 pm »
Yes she did !!  I read her post and the light came on !!  :D     That's why the greenery on the outside which didn`t fit with it being a strainer or berry bowl !! Then I remembered how my orchid grew in lava rock,, no dirt,, and it has to stay drained of excess moisture or it will rot !! You stand the pot in water and let it soak a while, then take it out !! With the holes it drains the water except what is absorbed by the lava rock and that's how it grew !!

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2014, 06:35:07 pm »
Yes she did !!  I read her post and the light came on !!  :D     That's why the greenery on the outside which didn`t fit with it being a strainer or berry bowl !! Then I remembered how my orchid grew in lava rock,, no dirt,, and it has to stay drained of excess moisture or it will rot !! You stand the pot in water and let it soak a while, then take it out !! With the holes it drains the water except what is absorbed by the lava rock and that's how it grew !!

so cool mart--I finally see what you mean...I think you are both right--plus the signature doesn't make sense for a strainer I think it is an orchid bowl and thank you both for sending me in the right direction.......... .

maybe even try my hand at growing some

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2014, 06:42:23 pm »
I thought it would be slam dunk to find another but still not ...  mart can you look?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2014, 06:55:01 pm »
I will try !!  May be wrong but let me see !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2014, 07:33:59 pm »
http://www.repotme.com/ceramic-orchid-pots/index.html

This is what I had in mind but I looked around a bit and found others that were called berry/fruit or orchid bowls !!  So I guess it can be used as either one of the three !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2014, 08:21:16 pm »
Older pieces didn't have a "attached" base/drain bowl.  That is a "newer" invention.

My grandmother was a member of a very active garden club for over 50+ years...and she had quite a few orchid bowls...all shapes, sizes, colors, origins, etc.

That's where I have seen similar!  :)

Also, back in the late 70's there were several companies that sold pots - touting that you can grow many plants without soil - using aerated pots and lava rock.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!