Author Topic: A couple trunks I acquired over the years...  (Read 3983 times)

housemouse

• View Profile
A couple trunks I acquired over the years...
« on: October 13, 2014, 09:16:27 am »
I am curious as to some history and value of these trunks I have acquired over the years.  I am thinking of selling them and want to know that I am offering them for a fair price.  I will make 2 more posts after this one, one with each trunk and what I know about them so far.

housemouse

• View Profile
Re: A couple trunks I acquired over the years...
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 09:20:21 am »
This trunk measures 32" long, 19.5" deep, and 22" tall.  Straps are gone, made by Headley & Farmer that was in business from 1842-1930.  Has wheels on it that I am positive are not original to the trunk.  Does appear to be solid, I couldn't find any spongy spots in it anywhere.

http://s68.photobucket.com/user/prettymetalprincess81/slideshow/Trunk2

housemouse

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 09:23:51 am »
This trunk smells like cedar so I am pretty sure that is what lines it.  Measures 34" long, 20" deep, and 22.5" tall.  Straps on sides are also missing, no spongy areas that I found on this one either.  No markings that I could find to show manufacturer.

http://s68.photobucket.com/user/prettymetalprincess81/slideshow/Trunk1

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 01:28:35 pm »
Photobucket does not work for me !! All I could see was the thumbnail pics and they are small !! Can you post the pics to this site ??  All we need is three each,, one good overall pic, one with the lid open, and one of any detail you think might be important !!  Generally speaking these steamer trunks are rarely worth much except the more exceptional completely restored ones !!  They were very common and almost every family had one or two !!

housemouse

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 06:18:48 pm »
Still on that dial up I see :) I was having issues getting the pics off my phone to upload on any site and got photo bucket to finally let me. The one I'm most interested in us the Headley & Farmer. I have narrowed the years down to 1890-1930 based on the lock type. I will see if this phone will let me upload the pics, maybe it was aN operator error the other time I tried lol

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 07:04:03 pm »
Yes I am afraid I still have dial up !!  A pain in the backside but better than nothing !! The thing about trunks is,, they were made the same for so many years that might be as close as you can get to the date !!  They did not have style changes !! Ocassionally the metal work would change but that was a rare occurrence !! The metal parts were purchased in bulk by the Mfr. so even if the trunk was made later, they might still have a supply of the earlier locks ect.  To have thrown them away just because there was a different one on the market would have cost too much !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 02:28:41 am »
housemouse, if you use Photobucket then click on the "direct img link" to copy and post it ...... instead of the "url" link to the picture.

Just be sure you mark your "img" link as being an "Insert Image" and then the AQF server will upload the image and display it in your post.

housemouse

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 06:37:08 am »
I am still trying to figure out why this forum keeps telling me that "your session has timed out" and "body of message left blank" when I try to attach any photos either from my computer or phone.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 12:19:53 pm »
The likely reason is that your pics are oversized for this site !! Too big to load !!  Just resize them to about half what they are then try again !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 07:40:18 pm »

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 07:42:37 pm »

Do these help?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 07:50:59 pm »
Oh yes KC !!  Thanks !!  Did you notice your Green men on the latches ??  This is the first time I have seen this trunk !! I could see the other one !! 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2014, 07:54:33 pm »
Close up of Latch.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2014, 08:51:39 pm »
LOL !!  I meant look at the other pic !! Looking at that angle looks like your green men or an elf with hat and beard !!  Its just because your looking down at them !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2014, 03:41:13 pm »
LOL Mart, once you said that i saw the little fella's myself in that particular picture.  So I went back to the photo site and pulled up the locks/latches and they, unfortunately, do not have them.  That would have been soooooooo neat if they were!  :)