Author Topic: Converted Telephone Switchboard Bar ?  (Read 1427 times)

RainbowDash

• View Profile
Converted Telephone Switchboard Bar ?
« on: October 15, 2014, 04:35:07 pm »
Hello Antique-Shop forums!  New member here!

I have a question about this particular antique for any one that's interested and knowledgeable about this.  I'm thinking about selling it.  It was given to me by a friend, and he said that he was offered 4500 for it once or twice but turned the people down. 

Anyways the piece is basically an antique telephone switchboard.  Unfortunately, it was converted to a bar so I know this affected its value.  It still has two telephones on either side of it though, which is a nice addition.  It also has the (microphone?) which hangs down from it.  It's not in perfect condition either, but it really does look quite nice.  At the top it says "MAGNETO BAR"  -minus the quotation marks. 

I heard it came from an old Houston hotel, I live in Houston myself.  I really wanted to sell it for 3500 but I'm not sure if this is way too much to ask.  I think the person probably offered my friend 4500 because they were friends, he was rich, and he was drunk.  Anyways, what do you guys think about it?

Do you know anything about this piece ?  Any history to it or information or opinions?  Does it look nice / not nice?  What do you think it's worth?

Or is it better to just hang onto it ^^  it really is a nice piece for someone like me hehe   ;D

RainbowDash

• View Profile
Re: Converted Telephone Switchboard Bar ?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 04:39:04 pm »
Here's a picture of it.  Couldn't figure out the forum's how to post pictures!

http://postimg.org/image/w5t9j2ojr/

By the way I'm not storing it outside, I was just moving it!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 02:20:27 am by KC »

RainbowDash

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 04:48:49 pm »
Something else I was going to mention, it was converted to a bar like in the 40's or 50's.  as far as I know.  It wasn't converted into a bar any time recently. 

Would you believe some people were just throwing this out, and my friend happened to pick it up ? 

I'm really happy he gave it to me!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 06:53:13 pm »
Hi there and welcome from another Texan !! You mean to tell me you are in Houston someone was throwing this away ??  Your kidding ??  There are many people that would love it !! Telephone collectors are not hard to find !!
What does the plate at top say ??  What is the center part that looks like it has a glass insert ??  When these were used the operators worked at home,, not at Southwestern Bell !! They were installed in homes and could be removed should the operator quit (they rarely did) or something else happened !!  Too bad they didn`t keep the original switchboard with it !! I was a long distance operator late 60`s !!  We still had the cord/plug connect system !! And yes you could flip a switch and hear the conversation through the head piece !!  When this was used there were few direct lines, most were party lines with several families on them !! I remember those too !!  I would leave this as-is !!  It needs no more than dusting !!  How are the phones on the sides attached ??

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 02:22:32 am »
And yet another Texas Southerner here!

Love it!  One man's trash...another woman's, or man's, treasure!  :)  This is very saleable!!!

Re-posting picture so others can see!

« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 02:25:09 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 07:30:57 am »
You never know what is going to show up on this forum. That is an awesome piece. Just leave it as is.