Author Topic: Great but unknown Bench  (Read 8905 times)

dirbyjr

• View Profile
Great but unknown Bench
« on: October 16, 2014, 05:26:45 am »
I am by no stretch of the imagination a pro at either buying and selling or refinishing antiques.  But, I do have a great love for it and try to pick up projects here and there that for whatever reason jump out at me.  So, I was at a flea market last week and came across this great bench and bought it without what many would argue the requisite thought.. But who cares I like it. 

Anyway, I have no info on provenance, the dealer bought it in a lot at an abandoned old house with many antiques.  Most notable is the size of the bench, it is 8'3.5" wide and two feet deep.  It looks to have been well made but I cannot for the life of me discern it's original purpose.  I've scoured Google for anything similar and come up empty every time so I was hoping that maybe someone here could help.

Please let me know if you have any questions, I've attached a photo if that helps anyone.

Thank you in advance for your time,
David

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
Re: Great but unknown Bench
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 05:52:43 am »
wow-that is huge...if it came from a house it had to be a very large one...really makes a statement

is it oak?  is it on casters?

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 06:07:31 am »
This is puzzling. If a bench was over 8 feet long it would seat around four people at once. Why would you want casters so it would move as people got up and down? It looks like it may have been designed to roll for a reason but I do not know what. Maybe not for sitting at all but for another purpose. Just a thought.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 11:11:48 am »
Possibly a prayer bench out of a church !!  Would not normally been sat on but kneeled in front of !!  Moved when not needed !!

dirbyjr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 07:18:41 am »
Thank you all for your input!

I'm not sure the casters are original.  They definitely look old and could be but sitting on it it feels about an inch or so high.

The only purpose I can dream up for it is perhaps in a large waiting area like in a railroad or bus station..

dirbyjr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 07:22:17 am »
wow-that is huge...if it came from a house it had to be a very large one...really makes a statement

is it oak?  is it on casters?

Yes it is oak.. sorry I should've specified that in the original post.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 08:36:13 am »
My first thought was that maybe it would have looked in place in an early "opium den". ;)

dirbyjr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 09:35:02 am »
Rauville -  "My first thought was that maybe it would have looked in place in an early "opium den"."

That would be a very cool provenance...

I have wondered if it was meant as a piece of furniture that could be used to lay down on partially because of the depth of the piece, perhaps originally having a cushion.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 11:23:38 am »
Maybe from a police station where detainees could be handcuffed to the handles and together.  :D

dirbyjr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 12:37:38 pm »
Maybe from a police station where detainees could be handcuffed to the handles and together.  :D

Good guess but no telltale signs of handcuff marks on the ends. 

Also, I'm no expert on jails but I would bet that a piece of wood furniture doesn't have to be used in a jail for long before it has "MEJ wuz hear" or "!@#$% the polise" written all over it.. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 08:30:06 pm »
LOL !!  Excellent observation,, and you are right !!  Can you take a pic of the legs and feet ?? Have you looked under the seat to see if there is anything written there ??

joemg311

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 09:26:21 am »
When I look at it I picture it being used as a bench for the basketball team in the school gym of a small town. That or someone made it to go with a picnic table or cafeteria seating. Perhaps it was for a school cafeteria and wheeled out after lunch with the tables to make room for other activities.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 09:48:18 am »
Possibly but I think even in the early 20th century they would have thought twice about giving kids anything with wheels !!

joemg311

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 09:58:50 am »
Very true. I have to remember that kids can't be trusted.  :D

dirbyjr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2017, 10:05:44 pm »
You guys have provided a few good Ideas but I would really love to be pointed to something similar.

Thanks for any help

bump