Author Topic: Great but unknown Bench  (Read 8913 times)

SophieMarie

• View Profile
Re: Great but unknown Bench
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2017, 11:21:27 pm »
David,
Can you please provide pic again please?  It's no longer there....

dirbyjr

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2017, 11:25:41 pm »
Thank you for having a look..

SophieMarie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2017, 11:30:12 pm »
You are quite welcome!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2017, 12:00:11 am »
Thank you for reposting the pictures.  We had a snaffoo with the server since this was posted and lost most of the old pictures!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

SophieMarie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2017, 12:49:27 am »
Dirbyjr,

It appears to me that the top piece was married to the other piece.  I blew up the picture so you would know what I meant.  It isn't the same wood is it?  Also, how high is your bench/bed?

Thank you!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2017, 05:30:10 am »

It appears to me that the top piece was married to the other piece.

Nah, ..... don't think so.

Iffen the "top piece was married to the" seat boards they would surely have used dowels ....... and just drilled a hole thru the seat boards.

Me thinks it is "original" construction with the frame being put together first ....... and the seat boards "cut-to-fit" and installed secondly.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2017, 06:28:48 am »

It appears to me that the top piece was married to the other piece.

Nah, ..... don't think so.

Iffen the "top piece was married to the" seat boards they would surely have used dowels ....... and just drilled a hole thru the seat boards.

Me thinks it is "original" construction with the frame being put together first ....... and the seat boards "cut-to-fit" and installed secondly.

As Jacon might say.....'agrees.' :)
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2017, 09:46:41 am »
I originally thought  a prayer bench possibly but in looking again and since it has no back and can be accessed from both sides,, I bet it was used at a shoe store and was between the aisles !! Plenty of room for several people no matter if they are looking at size 6 or the other side of the aisle at size 9 !!  I vaguely remember something similar but smaller in  Red Goose Shoe store !!  As to finding something similar,, I doubt you will !!  Many have been re-purposed and altered or just discarded through the years !!  May have been made locally and there isn`t another like it !! Remember many of these stores were small and family owned !! So they had he bench made to their specifications !!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 11:20:25 am by mart »

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2017, 11:45:31 am »
Yeah, a "make-do" type bench that was cobbled together from various parts. I'd guess 20th century, no value really. The only benches i see that sell for good money these days are "bucket benches", i think most use them in potting sheds or green houses, some can get quite pricey.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2017, 02:17:44 pm »
This style is still very popular.  They are mostly seen used with a cushion on the top -  at the foot of a bed.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2017, 03:31:24 pm »
This style is still very popular.  They are mostly seen used with a cushion on the top -  at the foot of a bed.

Thats a big bed !!  This bench is 8' 3.5" !!

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2017, 03:47:35 pm »
Thats a big bed !!

Yeah is plus, this bench has wheels/ casters on it looks like.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2017, 05:15:28 pm »
Didn't see the 8' width...but that is not biggie for many.  We have several friends that are extra tall and or very large people.  They get custom made beds...however there are many beds made up to 12' x 10'!!!  (Extreme UltraKing Bed and or https://www.selectabed.com/oversized-king-ultrabed-mattress/ )

I couldn't imagine this in an aisle with rollers on it.  Next to a wall...yes.  I know here in Texas there are many homes that could use this in hallways/foyers, back porches, etc. 

dirbyjr

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2017, 08:28:16 pm »
Thank you for everyone's input..  I'm still uncertain about it's original use but you guys have provided some great ideas.

I think I'll remove the castors before I put this up for sale.  I kind of don't think they are original, but I base that only on general appearance and that the legs taper to so thin at the bottom.  It's a heavy piece and if the legs had been meant to have castors/rollers I would imagine that it would have been built with legs that didn't taper so much.

I hope that there is a niche market for such a bench, more than one person has suggested I either cut it down to a smaller size or split the bench top and use it for a table.  But I just couldn't bear cutting down such a unique piece of furniture.

SophieMarie

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2017, 09:51:19 pm »
Oh no....don't cut it down.  Your bench is very unique and versatile.  I could see it used with a cushion in front of a window or fireplace.  Or without the cushion, it would be great for a dining room table seating arrangement or even a large foyer.  I did search and found nothing that compared!