Author Topic: Vintage Lavender Pressed Glass Lidded Jar and Bowl?  (Read 2211 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
Vintage Lavender Pressed Glass Lidded Jar and Bowl?
« on: October 16, 2014, 07:51:31 pm »
I purchased these from the TS today and am trying to find out who made them and when. They are both lavender in color but the bowl's color shows up better in the images.

Both are pressed glass and the bowl has gold gilding on the rim. The lidded jar measures about 8 3/4 inches in width handle to handle end and about 7 1/2 inches in height with the lid on. The bowl measures about 8 inches in width.

Does any know who made these and when they might have been made?

Thanks!
Kevin

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Vintage Lavender Pressed Glass Lidded Jar and Bowl?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 02:10:40 am »
The sugar bowl has  Heisey “like” handles on it, …… like so pictured here in …..

http://www.thefind.com/kitchen/browse-heisey-sugar-bowl

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 08:55:23 am »
Thanks cogar! You're right, they are like that one. I should add, this is more like a small ice bucked and not a lidded jar like I previously stated.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 11:15:15 am »
Hobstar or hobstar and button are common pressed patterns produced by many companies in the US and abroad from the turn of the century to the present. Most are from the early 20th century. The lavender or lilac color is caused by the reaction to sunlight on the manganese in the glass. Manganese was used prior to 1930. I would date these anywhere from 1900 to 1930. They are very decorative pieces and the color adds to their appeal. Covered pieces are hard to find with the covers intact. Much glass is irradiated today to fake the color but the purples from those are usually deeper in color rather than the lavender of yours.  
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 11:19:00 am by frogpatch »

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 07:07:46 pm »
Thanks frogpatch for the background/history of these glass items and your estimate of the date range! They are a little earlier than I was thinking (mid century).

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 10:53:06 am »
They are earlier than mid century !!  What TS are you shopping at to find this stuff ??  Never see things like that down here !!

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 06:23:22 pm »
They are earlier than mid century !!  What TS are you shopping at to find this stuff ??  Never see things like that down here !!

mart, I shop at a few different TS's, but in this case it was at a GW. It also happened to be 50% off night that day. So the Fenton and the other blue dish was listed at $4 each so I got them for $2 each. The lavender pressed glass bowl and ice bucket were listed at $6 each so I got them for $3 each.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 06:52:14 pm »
Darn, you got a deal !!  Our GW is the pits,,no half priced anything,, ever,, and mostly junk on the shelves !!