Author Topic: Stanley No 45 Hand Plane  (Read 4430 times)

Vwdoyle

• View Profile
Stanley No 45 Hand Plane
« on: October 17, 2014, 01:41:04 pm »
Hello,

Does any one out there know thier hand planes?  Is this something special or just two No 45's stuck together?

Thank you for your replies!

Vwdoyle

• View Profile
Re: Stanley No 45 Hand Plane
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 02:01:15 pm »
More pics

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 05:53:12 pm »
Is that all it says ??  Number 45 ??  Is just marked in one place or on both ??  Give the size please and the spread between the two !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 07:36:52 pm »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-STANLEY-ADJUSTABLE-WOOD-PLANE-NO-45-WOODEN-HANDLES-/161449650711?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2597262a17

This is made similar to yours and does have two handles but the left one is the round wooden one and is more forward !!  The plane you have would be difficult to control it seems to me !!  The one on the link would be easier because of the forward handle !!  They made several types of two handled planes but haven`t found this one yet !!  I have a link on my desktop I am going to check !!  I love old tools !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 07:57:47 pm »
http://www.antiqbuyer.com/All_Archives/STANLEY/archive-Stan-combo-planes.htm

I keep this site on my desktop for reference !!   Didn`t find yours there either but didn`t go through the archives !!

Vwdoyle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 08:44:17 pm »
Thanks guys!
Mart, they are both marked No 45 and they look identical except for one has the flower pattern engraved while the other has the dotted textured pattern.  Both are 10" long and the distance between them is 4 3/8".
I did uncover an stamp on one of the blades.
Stanley Rule
& Leyel Co
PAT MCH11.84
JAN.22.95.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 03:47:26 am »
In that the patterns on the castings are different then it is obvious that one of the handle and cutter mechanisms is a different vintage than the other one.

Thus, in my opinion, someone conjoined the two mechanisms onto one “spreader” mechanism so that he could make two (2) parallel cuts at the same time.

And the distance between the two cutting blades is immaterial. The only width dimension of any importance to a cabinetmaker is the length of the 2 threaded rods for “adjusting” the distance of the “cut” from the edge of the board.   

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 07:59:51 am »
Cogar has got it right.
For the final word on Stanley planes, try Patrick Leach's Blood and Gore site.
http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan6.htm

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 09:15:16 am »
What happened to my earlier post ??  Cogar, the reason I asked about the spread was just to figure out what this may have been used for !!  My own information you might say !!  Have no idea why anyone would put two planes together like that except for a wide moulding of some sort,,!!  They had a set of wide blades on my link and was wondering if they may have fit !!  None are cheap and the planes bring a nice chunk of change !! If you click the heading on the link I gave you can see some past prices !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 06:36:33 am »
Mart, I sorry, my “distance” comment was an after-thought for the benefit of Vwdoyle and/or other viewers who might not know how the plane was “adjusted” for each different job it was used for. With your expertise in woodworking I knew why you were asking the question but I wasn’t sure Vwdoyle would.   

If we could see the “shape” of the two (2) cutter blades then we might be able to figure out what the original owner was using that dual cutting “combo” for.

I know from my own experience that iffen one doesn’t have the “right” tool to do a specific job that they will “jury-rig” something that will work. And I defy anyone being able to figure out what some of my “thingys” were used for …. and thus would only know if I told them.

HA, ;D somewhere out in my garage is an “adjustable spreader” for making diagonal “cuts” on my radial-arm and/or table saw.  I originally designed it for sawing the square “tapered” legs for a table. The “spreader” was placed between the “fence” and the “board” and both slid along in unison …. thus every “cut” was true n’ perfect. 

My "red cedar" end-table sits beside my computer desk and looks identical to this one except it is smaller and has a "slotted" shelf for storage.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 08:58:02 am »
Cogar,, I just now noticed that the mounting bolt/screw is still present on both planes where the secondary rosewood handle would be !!  So they did put two 45`s together !!  But without the weight added on the front of the plane by the front handle I can not see how they could get a smooth even cut !!  With both hands at the back and trying to push the plane would be a trick to do !!
Any ideas  ??  I am curious as to what this person was thinking ???
Ha !!  yes,, anyone that works with wood has an inventive side !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 12:35:57 pm »
A smooth wood handle on the front end of a plane is just a "comphy" thingy .... but not absolutely necessary for holding it down with the left hand.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 02:16:09 pm »
You are probably right but I am thinking like I am,,, 5'1" not 6' tall !!  I need that extra weight !!   ;D

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2014, 03:18:02 pm »

A bit of useless trivia. ;)
In the case of the "tool" being discussed here, neither one of these 45's shown came with a front knob on the plane body. The early 45's did have one, but on the later ones it was moved to the fence. The screw you see sticking up on the front is for the depth adjustment. The fence shown with this one has been reversed to the right-hand side, and you can see the threaded screw for the rosewood knob towards the rear.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 08:40:22 pm »
No kidding Rauville ??  Then this one is newer ??  Never thought about the depth adj. !!  Of course the planes I am familiar with all had side screw adjustments !!