Author Topic: Help needed - 1920s/30s ice chest/fridge restoration  (Read 2545 times)

Beckykelley79

• View Profile
Help needed - 1920s/30s ice chest/fridge restoration
« on: October 22, 2014, 04:08:48 pm »
So I acquired an old ice chest a few months ago and in the process of restoring it. I'm trying to focus on the inside first which is clearly in need of some TLC. It's in pretty rough shape so I've been buffing out the crud with a wool pad on the end of a drill. Does anyone have any suggestions to get through this faster? It's fairly time consuming which I'm ok with however I wanted to ask you experts if there's another way to get this cleaned up that is less labor intensive. Someone mentioned using a paint stripper but not sure that will work as it's not paint. The first picture shows what it looks like when I got it. The next one is just a closer view of the build up.

Thoughts?

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: Help needed - 1920s/30s ice chest/fridge restoration
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 04:52:54 pm »
Knowing what the crus really is would help. Is it grease, old paint, insulation like the dreaded asbestos? (Not likely. I hope not) Knowing what you are removing would help. Grease lighting works wonders for grease. Steam cleaning for a lot of crud works well                                                             

Beckykelley79

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 05:00:46 pm »
Hey Frogpatch - thanks for responding! So crud seems to be either calcium or rust (most likely calcium I think - the seller has restored a few of these and he told me it was calcium). It's definitely white and has come off with a wire brush however, I tried CLR with no avail. Looks like a brush is the only thing taking it off at this point.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 06:00:01 pm »
First thing I would try is WD-40 and let that penetrate, may need to do it a couple of times !!  Then a razor blade scraper like you clean windows with to scrape it off, fine steel wool after that to remove whats left !! Last a light coat of oil ( any kind ) whatever you cook with, then wipe off with a paper towel !!  It is metal under the crud isn`t it ?? 

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 03:21:37 am »
I would say sand blast is best/easiest way to get to bare metal, assuming metal is in good condition.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 04:50:05 am »
Jacon is right.

Take that picture to a few different auto repair/paint shops for estimates.

If you only had the inside "blasted"  ;D it would save you hours n' hours of work. 

joemg311

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 08:58:16 am »
Though there are plenty of sanding and grinding bits available, your regular drill is build more for power and does not spin at high enough speed to be an effective grinding tool. You can invest in a rotary tool like a Dremil that will be much more effective. Or if you have an air compressor you can get yourself an air powered die grinder. Nothing like a nice air tool to grind something down.

pamhardwick

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 09:54:25 am »
I am not a restorer so not sure if this me this would be appropriate for your piece. However, I have stripped paint from oak wood trim using a power washer. Also stripped a wood deck this way and the wood looked almost new.

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 10:22:25 am »
I suspect that the "paint" on this chest is not paint but enamel that has been baked on which means, tough going without an abrasive like sand.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 10:49:53 am »
That's true Jacon4 but if I read right what she is trying to remove is calcium ?? buildup on the inside !! The exterior is as it should be,, baked on white enamel !!  I am not sure it would be calcium though !!

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 10:53:41 am »
Yeah Mart but heres the thing, take it to a sand blaster and for a few dollars it's ALL OVER in a couple mins, lol

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 02:57:47 pm »
Oh !!  I thought you thought she was trying to do the outside !!  Sorry @!!!