Author Topic: Help ID Hubley doorstops please !!  (Read 4057 times)

mart

• View Profile
Help ID Hubley doorstops please !!
« on: November 09, 2014, 07:32:15 pm »
OK Its too late to take pics but you can look on ebay for similar repro`s !! I think they call them "twin Scotties listening" or some just say twin Scotties" !! I bought these two doorstops a while back and have been carrying them around in my Jeep !! Today I was bored and decided to look them up figuring they were likely repro`s even though the doctor that had them was quite a collector of anything old before he died !! I think they are original Hubley doorstops but can`t find much info on them nor can I find a list of Hubleys number system !! I did measure the numbers on back and they matched the size and place for Hubley. All the details match for Hubley but I still would like to be sure !!  They are 8" wide at base and 5 1/4 tall, 2 1/2 lbs each !! Three digit number on back is 525 and are 3/8" 1/8" and that is correct for Hubley !! Can anyone tell me where I can get a positive ID !! These were not made at the same time the earlier has no base coat the later one does !!  Hubley also did some basecoats before the paint was applied on later doorstops !! They did not have the Hubley name on all !! Help !!

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: Help ID Hubley doorstops please !!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 10:08:21 pm »
We must be talking about two different doorstops. I thought the "Twin Scotties Listening" DS was the one made by the National Sewing Machine Co., patterned after the famous Texaco Scotties.
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/original-cast-iron-twin-scottie-dog-door-stop
(We need pictures. :)) 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 05:23:57 am »
Yes I saw those but these have only a number and according to the sites I checked with yours would be marked as NSM company !! Mine are not !! But they match Hubley`s markings !!  Size is different on NSM doorstops !! I am not sure these are doorstops,,they could be bookends I guess since there are two of them !! I do not know if they were bought at the same time and one is clearly older than the other, there is a patch on the back that missed getting painted and it has a basecoat,, the earlier one does not !! These have not been repainted,,it is not a modern black color !! The later one was painted on back ,,but not the earlier one !!  There are also some mold differences in NSM Scotties and these !! Mine have the soft lines of old cast iron and does show some grinding/filing on one edge which is also typical of Hubley !! So I am not at all sure about these !! But they are not reproductions as far as I can tell !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 09:19:19 am »
Attempting pics !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 09:24:25 am »
Attempting pics !!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 09:37:08 am by mart »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 09:48:22 am »
Another !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 10:29:38 am »
Now I will try the later one !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 10:39:43 am »
Another !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 10:54:52 am »
And last !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 09:07:30 pm »
Wish I could help you out Mart but I don't know much on these 'puppies'!  :) 

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 11:52:35 am »
Neither do I and this hole seems to get deeper !! There is a slight size difference between the older one and the later one !! Have found no repro`s that match !! Everything seems to point to Hubley but they didn`t make these at all that I have found !! Can`t be the later ones made from Hubley`s molds since they didn`t make this type !! Yet no others I have found used Hubleys number system !! 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 12:30:49 pm »
I could have sworn I saw that Hubley made these!  I know their single Scotty is marked with a number only!

At least watch this on ebay
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 01:19:31 pm »
No pic KC,, just black box with X in it !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 04:47:02 pm »
Well, I finally heard from Doorstops.com !! They sent me an answer that these were low end and made and marked #157 by National Sewing Machine Co. plus a paragraph from their book !! Of course !!
Don`t know why people fail to read what is written and instead just look at the pics !! These are not marked by NSM nor are they numbered 157 !! These are numbered 525 with nothing else on the back and in size and place consistant with Hubley !! If Hubley didn`t make them,,,just tell me who did because there are no other 525`s anywhere I have found !!

cogar

• View Profile