Author Topic: Chinese or Japanese Dish and made in what age ?  (Read 2179 times)

gerspee

• View Profile
Chinese or Japanese Dish and made in what age ?
« on: November 10, 2014, 11:23:03 am »
Nice and heavy dish but is it Chinese or Japanese ? And when made of course would be nice . Porcelain made and needs a little bit off tender loving care as to be seen on the pictures . And some links maybe with the same designs would be nice . size 44.6 centimeters and height around 7 cm . Weight 3.3 kilograms

mart

• View Profile
Re: Chinese or Japanese Dish and made in what age ?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 03:07:51 pm »
Looks Japanese to me and that's about all I can tell about it !!

gerspee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 02:02:35 am »
Thanks but Japan because of what ? 

Mat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 05:46:04 am »
That one is strange. mart is right that it looks somehow Japanese, mainly because of the spur marks on the bottom. On the other hand, the unglazed footrim looks Chinese as does the general shape  and decoration of the plate. I am not sure that this is porcelain ( because of the colour of the unglazed part of the rim) , and that makes me think it could be of European origin, either from Delft or English maybe... Also the blue seems to point in that direction. They made quite a lot Chinese style plates in the 18th century. Here is just one example, it is not exaclty the same pattern, but goes in the right direction, I think: http://www.davidswansonantiques.co.uk/antique-ceramics/delft-pottery/18th-c-delft-charger-3-3-refno-172/
Mat  :)

gerspee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 07:10:41 am »
I have tested the dish with a flashlight and it shines on the other side . So to me it looks porcelain ? So if Japanese porcelain with this design and thickness any idea about the age ? And the color  of the the unglazed part is a bit to red but that's from the photo . In real its similar color to one off my older Chinese porcelain plates .
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 07:14:48 am by gerspee »

Mat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 07:24:30 am »
The only thing that makes the plate look Japanese are the spur marks, the decoration is clearly Chinese, NOT Japanese. Here is a chinese dish with that pattern: http://www.chinese-porcelain-art.com/acatalog/Catalogue_Chinese_Blue___White_Page_2_67.html ( it is Nr. X396) . However the overall look makes me quite sure that it is European...

gerspee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 07:37:01 am »
Seen it and looks very similar but the outer rim is dark colored and mine is white as the dish overall .So Japanese copy of a China dish or Chinese copy of a early Japanese ? It is for sure porcelain .

Mat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 07:44:43 am »
IF it is asian then it is a Japanese copy of a Chinese export pattern, but the colour of the blue is not right at all for Japanese, and in my eyes the glaze is not shiny enough to be porcelain.  ???

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 07:57:49 am »
Mat is right !! 1930`s and through the 50`s Japanese were copying the items that sold best for export as were the Europeans !! This is after the Blue Willow and others pattern  became so popular !! My opinion is that this plate is Japanese and was made for sale in other countries !!
But then again,,I am no expert on these !!

gerspee

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 08:28:13 am »
Difficult plate so it seems . But the shine is there and the only thing that's I also see is the thickness off the plate . Almost 7 mm measured on the outer edge . So thick porcelain as is . So that makes me think it is older then the chinese one . And I think that my decoration is a little more detailed then the Chinese on the site send by Matt . It's also on the Asian forum for a few days now but no answer yet on it so ?