Author Topic: Prices of Japanese and French pottery  (Read 1991 times)

debodun

• View Profile
Prices of Japanese and French pottery
« on: November 13, 2014, 01:06:16 pm »
What would be reasonable prices to ask for these Noritake, Nippon and Limoges items at an estate sale?

mart

• View Profile
Re: Prices of Japanese and French pottery
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 05:57:38 pm »
The lustre ware condiment set I would price at $45. because you have all the pieces if its in perfect condition !! The rest I would go between $10. and $15. each but be prepared to deal on all of them !!  I would not sell the lustre ware set for less than $35. though !!  Most pottery and porcelain hasn`t been doing well on ebay lately !!

debodun

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 06:02:38 am »
Thanks for the estimates, mart! I wonder why porcelain so doing so poorly? When I put things out like this at my sales, I feel like I'm throwing pearls in front of swine. These days people don't seem to appreciate fine antiques, at lest here in upstate NY and if they are interested, won't pay more that a dollar or two for anything. We seem to be in a depressed area where antiques are concerned. There used to be several consignment/used treasure shops in the adjoining community and all have gone out of business in the last year or two. Antique dealers won't buy my things either citing that they aren't selling, so can't take on more merchandise. Is it the economy or just a trend away from "old stuff"?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 06:09:43 am by debodun »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 06:38:27 am »
Much is because of the economy !! But if the dealers can buy it from you for a dollar or two don`t think their shop prices are going to reflect that !! They will still put the high retail prices on when they sell it !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 09:00:27 am »
Trends change as people do.  Younger collectors today would rather put their expendable income into a reproduction metal sign to hang in a "man cave" than buy a piece of "pretty china". At local auctions, if a piece of early glass or porcelain sells, it will be an old gray haired coot like myself that buys it. ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 09:07:02 am »
That is true and we can thank TV for the new trends !! Rust is in,,nice pottery/porcelain/glass is out,,,at least for the moment !!

debodun

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 07:36:40 am »
It really burns me to see TV shows like "American Pickers" where guys go and by rusty, broken junk for hundreds of dollars when I can't sell fine vintage items even for a dollar or two.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 02:08:16 pm »
Perhaps but they have done a lot to bring collecting in general to the younger generation !! The trends are just something you have to follow if you intend to make money at this !!  Pack up the glassware and get out all the old rusty farm tools you can find at your next garage sale !!

debodun

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 05:24:19 am »
I did have a Ridge 18 inch pipe wrench and a rasp file out for $5 - I still have them.