Author Topic: Credenza/Buffet - era?  (Read 3850 times)

Beckykelley79

• View Profile
Credenza/Buffet - era?
« on: November 15, 2014, 12:44:29 pm »
Thinking of purchasing this credenza to use as a tv stand. I love the detail and the style. Can someone tell me what era they think it's from? And the seller is asking $225.00 which includes painting (antique white) so not sure if that's reasonable...  Note it is on wheels.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Credenza/Buffet - era?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 01:00:01 pm »
Well, Its what is known as depression era furniture likely from the 30`s or so !! Has a Queen Anne cabriole leg and pad foot but is not typically a Queen Anne buffet/credenza !! They were known to mix it up a bit !! Since it is missing veneer it is priced higher than it should be. You can find similar for $85. to $100 in better condition !!

Beckykelley79

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 01:08:02 pm »
Mart you are awesome! I always get some good advice from you guys on this forum! I definitely think it is priced a bit high but the problem is that in our area it's hard to find antique furniture like this. So people buy estates and parcel it out. Not sure how much room I have to negotiate but I don't want to pay double if I can drive to Virginia which is only an hour or two away and get this piece in better shape for cheaper! Any advice on how to negotiate with sellers?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 03:05:41 pm »
First do your homework !! Check prices on ebay, Craigslist, and any other similar selling sites you can think of !! Know before you go what you can get similar and within driving distance !! Then go make them a reasonable offer for your area !! Yes they have to make a profit but I would bet they didn`t pay over $50. for that one !! If they refuse your offer just thank them and leave your phone number in case they have a change of heart !! Chances are they will deal on it !!  Even though they are selling cheaper here and in other areas you have to take your time into consideration !! I would offer $150. if they are hard to find in your area !!  If they don`t deal or call in a few days, shop around !!  Take your time and don`t jump when dealing !! Just know your stuff and what a reasonable selling price is !!

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 04:38:33 am »
Gee Wiz, pretty rough condition for $225. Did a quick live auctioneer search and this one came up, period victorian in solid walnut for $110. It sold at Bunch in Pa, where are you located? Agrees it's kinda important what your location is because shipping something like this can easily exceed the cost of the piece.

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/29140954_figural-carved-walnut-victorian-credenza-lacking-top
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 04:47:16 am by jacon4 »

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 04:48:56 am »
LOL, site has gone from not loading pic's at all to pic's having children in here it seems!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 06:58:44 am »
They are working on the pic situation !!
I think she found this locally !! Still overpriced for the age and condition !! You can find many of this type here at local auctions in the $50. range !! Pretty common !!

Beckykelley79

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 07:41:49 am »
So I'm located in about an hr south of DC. And in close proximity to Virginia as well. Yes this is from a local antique store. Like I mentioned earlier there are not a lot of antique stores in my area but I am willing to drive an hour or two to find something cheaper. I need to do some research. I don't think there is much room for negotiation with these folks but like the pictures show the piece is in need of some work.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 09:47:56 am »
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/atq/4756155129.html

Was looking at Craigslist in the DC area and found this ad !! Says they also have some 30`s and 40`s stuff !! Might be worth checking !! Prices good too !!
I see what you mean about antiques and vintage stuff being high in your area !! Places like the above link are always good to check !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 02:23:00 pm »
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/zip/4764304189.html

If looking at the craigslist in your area,,are you anywhere near Falls Church ?? Found the above !! Be sure to check the curb alerts and free stuff !! Can`t figure what people just put out on the curb for free !!

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 03:26:34 pm »
they are free all day long here in MN-

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2014, 03:36:22 pm »
DC huh, MY HOME TOWN! An hour south of DC is in Va unless you are on the eastern shore Md. Agrees that CL or auctions would be the way to go on something like this, depression era stuff is hard to give away unless in very good condition. If on eastern shore, Salisbury would probably be your best bet.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 03:41:34 pm by jacon4 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2014, 04:32:11 pm »
Look at that last link Jacon4 !! Nice hutch !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 08:50:09 pm »
Mart, when I went to your link it said it deleted by the author.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2014, 09:02:37 pm »
Guess someone took it !! I would have to,, in a heartbeat !!