Author Topic: Pudding Mold?  (Read 1679 times)

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Pudding Mold?
« on: November 18, 2014, 05:51:00 pm »
Laura and I were confronted with a collection of pottery food molds that were cheap. If I was still dealing, I would have bought them all. Today I have to leave the rest of the kill for the younger dogs. But anyway, we chose this one. Was this made in the US or England? Was it for a figgy pudding? Please do not stay until you get some. I have been waiting years for a lemon meringue pie. My question is what kind of food could be dumped from here with such an intricate design? When was it made and where>

mart

• View Profile
Re: Pudding Mold?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 06:25:27 pm »
Actually if it was oiled or buttered,,you could use I for any molded dessert !! Including jello !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 06:45:16 pm »
Was Jello around back then?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 06:58:38 pm »
Jello and or gelatin was patented in 1845 !! Not sure when they started using the Jello name !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 08:02:09 pm »
So you are telling me that this mold was used for jello in Victorian times? I am having trouble swallowing that. lol

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 08:57:31 pm »
Could have been used for cakes or you would be surprised how they molded ice cream and butter!  That was a big deal!

Too thick for shortbread.

In Victorian times instead of being called Jello it was called a Jelly and was a popular molded item.  More popular was a molded aspic or head cheese and puddings (like Flummery),  They were a BIG DEAL especially in Victorian times....the fancier the mold the more afluent!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 08:59:48 pm »
Here's one of the sites I peruse often for historical recipes
http://www.historicfood.com/Jellies.htm

I am not sure if this link will show up if you're not a member...but it is a wonderful collection of ironstone molds on Pinterest
http://www.pinterest.com/kristinespatina/ironstone-pudding-moulds/
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 06:13:42 am »
Thanks KC! Great website. I plan on returning there frequently and so does my wife. We collect old cookbooks but we have none from Victorian times. I think the oldest is 1910. I have a Pinterest account so I was able to look at that collection too. I had the opportunity to buy several more but I just have no room. We are at the downsizing age but we keep buying. It was hard to walk away. I am happy with my one. I got it real cheap. Of course. lol.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 09:14:47 am »
So you are telling me that this mold was used for jello in Victorian times? I am having trouble swallowing that. lol

Oh,, No problem !! Jello just slides down !! LOL
You didn`t say how big this dish is,,could be a fruitbowl !!
Strawberries, or grapes on the table !! No telling what it was used for !!