Author Topic: Star Lock Works?  (Read 1933 times)

kellsenberg

• View Profile
Star Lock Works?
« on: November 19, 2014, 12:58:19 am »
I was wondering if anyone could help me out in locating what kind of key I need for my trunk?

I got it from an estate sale and the key was missing. I do not know what kind of key will fit the lock. From what I have found on Google, I believe the lock was made by Star Lock Works.
On the lock itself, it reads "*star* PatD Mar 69 & Apr 77 *star*."
I found a similar lock listed on another website, which is the second picture, but unfortunately, nothing was listed about the key with it.
I read on Google that there is usually a key number on the lock somewhere, but I cannot find it on mine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance

-Kelli

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: Star Lock Works?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 06:28:15 am »
Nice trunk. Fortunately it is not locked. It uses a flat key like the one in the picture. A good locksmith can cut one for you if you are willing to pay for it. Aside from that just dig though boxes at flea markets and house sales and you may get lucky. Be careful that the lock does not work if there are kids around. They can lock themselves inside. Old cedar chests and refrigerators pose a greater hazard as they latch automatically. These usually have one kid hiding and the other locking as a joke. Suffocation is not funny.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 09:34:14 am »
That's right Frogpatch !! If the lids on these trunks are dropped the lock plate can drop and lock automatically !! If you have children keep it locked and the key put away, out of small hands !!
That's what I used to do just buy them at flea markets and try them !! You can also go to some of the collector groups online and see if they have one !! Not much difference in some of these keys !! I have even got them to work by wiggling them if they are a close match !!

mart

• View Profile

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 10:31:58 am »
Yeah, I'll second that on the issues that can happen with old locks without keys. Once upon a time, i bid and won a dower chest that i thought might be an early PA. german example (it wasn't). It arrived and you'll notice it didn't have feet, so then i did a stupid thing, i turned it up on it's end to examine the bottom of chest and BAM! i heard that CLICK! thats right, the chest locked itself and naturally there was no key. Took me 2 weeks or so of messing with lock to get it opened, LESSON LEARNED! Now, whenever i buy an old chest with no key the first thing on my list is, DISABLE THE LOCK YOU DUMMY!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 12:57:49 pm »
I just came in from my workshop where I looked through several dozen old trunk keys that I've saved. I thought if I found a "Star" key I'd offer to send it to you. Sorry...every other brand, but no Star.  :-[

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 03:34:35 pm »
How nice of you Rauville !!  But then,, we all know you are a sweetie !!

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 02:30:46 am »
GOOD TRY! on trying to find a key however, from a collector's stand point, generally speaking a working lock does not add value to the piece. You could always go the locksmith route but could easily spend more than the piece is worth, there are smiths who restore old locks/keys but that kind of work can get pricey.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 02:36:53 am by jacon4 »