Author Topic: If This Table Could Talk  (Read 2929 times)

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
If This Table Could Talk
« on: November 24, 2014, 02:41:57 pm »
Sometimes something in really bad condition can serve a purpose and still look good. This 19th century drop leaf table with NY legs was discovered by my wife Laura under a lot of everything in an old stable work barn. We dug it out and bought it from the owner who had sold the property. Over its long life it has been burned, spilled on, rained on and screwed. Sort of like me. It is also warped and weathered but still strong. Sort of like me. It was dragged across the concrete floor so many times the the feet are no longer pointed. I was cleaning my sunporch and pulled it outside and noticed that I added some more character to it by keeping plants on it. The good thing about a piece like this is no matter what happens to it, it doesn't matter. Everytime I look at it I think of the number of jobs that were performed on it. Mart, I know you can appreciate that. Some people I know would ask me why I have not thrown it out. For the same reason my wife has not thrown me out. I am still functional too.

mart

• View Profile
Re: If This Table Could Talk
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 03:15:00 pm »
I agree Frogpatch !! I would have rescued that too !! Now I need to go check my legs for holes and burn marks !! LOL
Love it !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 12:31:32 am »
I love pieces like that.  Our dining table has lots of war scars from all the projects we have done on it and dragged it, etc. Especially the last 2 years that our youngest is majoring in art in college....painting, carving, ink work, dying.  She never sees what the problem is because her "place" at the table is in good shape.  She gets all the stuff everywhere else on the table and then scrubs the heck out of it to get the paint/ink off.  There is barely any finish left on the other 5 places!  I told here the other day she could have it when she leaves home (being sarcastic) and you would think I promised her a million dollars.  She just loves that table...like me!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 04:57:52 am »
Old furniture can be like that, it can give one an emotional response even though of no particular value. I have a couple pieces of my mothers furniture, it was bought in a regular furniture store and has no real value but i still keep and use it just because of my memory of her.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 11:38:28 am »
The building this was in leaked so badly all of the finish is gone so anything that gets on it goes right into the wood.

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 09:39:37 pm »
If big wull were here...

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 06:15:13 am »
LOL !! Indeed !! I can hear him now !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 09:56:26 am »
The building this was in leaked so badly all of the finish is gone so anything that gets on it goes right into the wood.

I hope you either "climatized" or treated that wood before you placed it in a location where it will commence "drying out".

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 10:06:40 am »
It was dry when I found it Cogar. It has been on my sunporch for two years and was also in the kitchen where I burned it with a pan. It is back on the porch now where i spill water on it regularly when ever the plants get watered. I may paint it one day. It will probably live on for centuries. How many items have we all put into circulation that will be around long after we are gone? For me it would be in the thousands. We are good for the environment.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 10:12:48 am »
True !!  We have been going "green" longer than the term has been used !!

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 02:32:15 pm »

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 04:12:51 pm »
That is the truth Mart. Sugarcube, it sure looks like it.