Author Topic: What are these light fixtures called?  (Read 6918 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: What are these light fixtures called?
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2014, 10:58:09 am »
Frogpatch are you talking about city code ??  Where I am you have no inspection, no code and pretty much anything goes as long as it works !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2014, 03:55:11 pm »
I am referring to the National Electrical Code. All fixtures must comply with the NEC and be installed in compliance. No American Mfr. would make a fixture that could not be installed. Did anyone ask what size the sockets were? European fixtures have a lamp with a base larger than candelabra and smaller than intermediate. French and German are different from one another.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 04:09:22 pm by frogpatch »

rustyattic

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2014, 07:04:05 pm »
I'll get the size and hopefully name of the socket when I get in tomorrow.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2014, 07:34:40 pm »
Frogpatch are you talking about city code ??  Where I am you have no inspection, no code and pretty much anything goes as long as it works !!

Better add,,except for new construction where a mortgage company is involved !! Then it has to be according to code for insurance to cover it !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2014, 07:18:54 am »
Here in NJ even an apartment, in most municipalities, gets inspected before a new renter can move in. A new CO is required for each tenant. Any new construction or renovation requires a permit and inspection also. Even a fence. I think there may be different rules in rural areas though. Yes, we actually have a lot of rural areas here.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2014, 07:35:55 am »
Cogar. You are correct in saying that ………

Frogpatch, that is why I pre-apologized to you for being the Devil’s Advocate. I knew a little bit about it due to my 20 years in computer engineering and manufacturing and one of my bestest beer drinking friends n’ co-worker was the UL/CSI (Canadian) compliant Electrical Engineer for all of our products. My knowledge of 110/220 wiring, instillations, codes, rules, etc., for private residences is not “expert” class but fair enough to “pass inspection” in many, but not all,, locales. In some places, local statutes stipulate that all electrical work must be done by a card-carrying IBEW member. 

Now I probably should refrain from any more critiquing on this subject, but, I am an Educator, via Degree, and thus a compulsion to prevent a misunderstanding of correctly stated information and/or to correct misinformation to prevent it from being propagated to unsuspecting individuals. 

Thus said, …. the key phrase in your NEC statement was “to pass inspection” and iffen your power is “ON”, meaning already inspected, whatever you do is your problem if something goes wrong. (Which might negate your insurance coverage.)

Now whether one does their electrical work themselves, or hires it done, it should be done “to Code” simply for safety reasons.

And the “illegality” associated with the non-compliance of/with “the Code” is a sticky-wicky one depending on whether it is residential or commercial property and/or you are the owner or the contractor/licensed electrician that did or is doing the work.

Cheers

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2014, 07:48:43 am »
Being in the lighting industry for 30 years I have dealt with contractors, inspectors, manufacturers and engineers. All of these people were adamant about compliance with code and safety. The fixtures we are talking about would never come out of a US manufacturer with wiring like that anytime in past 60 years. Earlier anything was possible but they look European to me. I have seen a few old fixtures during my forty plus years as a dealer of vintage stuff. The socket size would be a clue unless they were made for a US Market. They could very well be Mexican also.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2014, 07:59:56 am »
And ps:  HA,  ;D ;D  have you read the compliance “Code” associated with the “clean-up” in the event that you “break” one of those new energy-saving, mercury laden, “green” fluorescent light bulbs?

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2014, 08:54:45 am »
The fixtures we are talking about would never come out of a US manufacturer with wiring like that anytime in past 60 years.

Why of course NOT, at least not in the past 40 years. Don't push the "envelope" back too far because the "rules" have undergone considerable change since post-1970.

Me pretty sure, via the 3rd picture, that it was recently re-wired ... via use of what looks to be 22 ga stranded, "white" insulated twisted-pair wire and plastic electrical tape to hold the wire in place.

Just my opinion, mind you, from what I think I see in the picture. ::)

rustyattic

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2014, 06:38:18 pm »
I looked more closely at them today and found a "Made Italy" mark and got a couple more pics. 

Here's a pic of the switch (sorry may camera flash makes it hard to see.)

Next is the socket after I took out the porcelain adapter.  The socket is a little more then an inch in diameter.  The adapter is marked Leviton 10029 and the back says 125V

The last 2 show more of the wiring and the small box that reads:CAT 579

The plug has UL B&9 marked on it.  All the metal is iron. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2014, 07:17:06 pm »
The UL would likely be Underwriters Laboratories so they were likely made for a US market !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2014, 06:15:06 am »
The fixture itself was most probably “imported” here to the US ….. and the electrical components were “installed” by the importer. Big cost savings on Import Duties by doing it that way.

And with the retail sales of a per se …. “re-manufactured” item …. is when the “illegality” associated with the non-compliance of/with “the Code” …. really gets sticky-wicky.

Especially when it is a very low volume sales item.

If you like it, ...... put some lightbulbs in it and hang it on the wall.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2014, 07:19:22 am »
I don't recall anyone saying it had a cord and plug on it. Did I miss that? That would make it a portable lamp not a fixture.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2014, 09:56:51 am »
I don't recall anyone saying it had a cord and plug on it. Did I miss that? That would make it a portable lamp not a fixture.

Me too !!  What plug ?? I assumed it was hard wired into the wall !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2014, 02:53:30 pm »
I sorry, didn’t think that was a pondering anyone was concerned with, ….. soooooooo … will oblige all those curious minds ….

Iffen you look at 1st Post, top of 3rd picture you will see an attached “ring” for hanging the fixture on a nail or whatever.  Hanging fixtures are not (normally) wired directly into a junction box

It was not made for a per se “wall mounting” because there are no screw holes in the fixture …. nor a mounting “bracket” on the back of the fixture.

Next look at the newly uploaded 3rd picture on page 2, Post #24, just above this post.

Look at the bottom left, at the inside edge of the “V” brace and you will see, … what I am pretty sure is, ….. the “taped-up” end of the “power” cord that the per se …. lamp cord (wire) and plug (socket) were cut off from.

So now I see that I previously shudda said ….. attach a new lamp cord (wire) and plug, .... and then check it out with a Volt meter to make sure there is no "shorts" and everything works.   

A "cut-off" lamp cord (wire) more often than not infers a "problem" ..... (but nothing that can't be easily fixed). If the switch is bad you can buy a replacement at an electronics or auto parts store. It doesn't have to be an identical one, .... just so it fits through the "hole" in the fixture. A toggle, a push on/off or a twister will work.