Author Topic: Is this a Netsuke ?  (Read 4706 times)

wilhenri

• View Profile
Is this a Netsuke ?
« on: December 06, 2014, 02:52:22 am »
I do have a number of Netsuke but I am not sure on this as the holes in the top are too uniform usually one of the holes is smaller in a true Netsuke. It is obviously a stylised Octopus and carved from wood some of the tentacles have what seems to be white inlay. For those of you in the States and the UK that watch Baggage Battles and Storage Wars ( Thanks Mart for picking that up ) I have seen Barry Weiss with what looks exactly the same as a neck tie on his shirt. Yes I took a close look. Its aprox 3 inches by 1 inch.  
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 08:10:42 am by wilhenri »
Live as if you are to die tomorrow and learn as if you are to live forever
Mahatma Gandhi

mart

• View Profile
Re: Is this a Netsuke ?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 07:15:32 am »
You mean "Storage Wars" ??  Yes I watch both Baggage Battles and Storage Wars !!  Have not looked that closely though !!

wilhenri

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 07:35:01 am »
Yes Mart thats what I meant  its all Yank to me   but quite entertaining I am surprised at their level of knowledge or lack of it for the most part... 
Mahatma Gandhi

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 09:23:09 am »
My hubby always makes fun of some of those shows because they seem to "know it all" !! I keep telling him that the teaching element is what it is for !! And that its a show where much is prepped ahead of the taping !!
So Barry wears one of these for a bolo tie ??  Have to pay more attention next time !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 10:02:46 am »
With the plethora of TV shows featuring antiques and collectibles you would think there would be more (young) people becoming interested in old items. Sadly, I believe just the opposite is happening. :(

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 11:25:47 am »
I don`t know about that Rauville !! Here locally there has been an upswing in the old rusty stuff as on American Pickers !! The bad side,,they have no clue what they are, how to buy and 1970 is antique and worth a lot of money to them !!  Hard to convince them differently !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 11:31:54 am »
I know Mart.  Boy, do I feel old when they think 1970 is an antique!  LOL 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 12:24:19 pm »
LOL !!  Hard to think about mid century being "the olden days" as my grandson puts it !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 01:44:56 pm »
I walked through a small local "antique show" last weekend. Good grief...I've got socks older than most of the stuff they were displaying. Glued together trinkets, painted up used furniture, old doors sawed up with a few coat hooks screwed on, etc.
I did see a 1970's Indiana Glass carnival bowl, tagged "RARE..."! The seller said if they couldn't get their price, they were going to take it to an auction. Oh yes...I can envision that piece of junk sitting next to something like the blue Fenton bowl that sold for $52,000 this fall. ;D                                     

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 01:55:05 pm »
Which Fenton bowl was that ??   Post a link !!  Gotta see that one !!

Rauville

• View Profile

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2014, 02:58:43 pm »
Wow !!  Got to look closer at carnival glass !!

wilhenri

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 03:04:15 am »
My hubby always makes fun of some of those shows because they seem to "know it all" !! I keep telling him that the teaching element is what it is for !! And that its a show where much is prepped ahead of the taping !!
So Barry wears one of these for a bolo tie ??  Have to pay more attention next time !!
Yes Mart I have seen him wear it a couple of times which is why I dragged it out of the drawer. he is the only collector I know of on the Programme the others are just dealers thought he does sell stuff but his past life is very interesting.
As for some of these Antiques things like Bargain Hunt I can not understand why they have experts?? as invariably there are always a disaster. Why do the experts not admit when they do not know what something is? stunning
Mahatma Gandhi

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2014, 06:32:30 am »
What I have a problem with are the prices they put on some of the things !!  California prices may be higher but try to sell some of that stuff in Texas !!
Yes, Barry is interesting !! Seems to have done well at the storage game plus his business !!

wilhenri

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2014, 12:04:51 pm »
Well I have Tweeted him with pics wonder if he will respond lol
Mahatma Gandhi