Author Topic: Pier table-cabinet identification  (Read 7791 times)

cdburke

• View Profile
Re: Pier table-cabinet identification
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 10:44:52 pm »
Thanks mart -- and all.  That's a bit of a bummer about the spray paint (of course), but I certainly still love it.  In at $600, a new cabinet from somewhere like Crate and Barrel would cost double with much less character and zero history.  I'm only 32 by the way!

Is it likely that the pulls/banding are actually brass but spray painted for whatever reason over the last two centuries?  With the additional photos added earlier, can anyone confirm whether mahogany or rosewood?

I'd love to continue learning about the piece if there are additional thoughts.

Also picked up the attached bookcase from the same person but can't say I know much of anything about it yet...

David
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 10:50:30 pm by cdburke »

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 03:09:45 am »
David, no need worry over issues like alterations to antique furniture, it's one of those is what it is kinda deals. The mounts & hardware on period american Empire is brass that has been gilded and the fact that it's still there on your cabinet and is original is what counts. So what if it's been over painted, if you wanted you could remove the paint and have it regilded.
A word about Empire VS Classical as they are often confused with one another. They are the same form, it's just that one is hand made (empire) with lavish decoration (gilded mounts, hand carving) and one is machine made (classical) large blocks of band sawed pine that is veneered with little decoration. This empire and later classical style lasted over 100 years in america, 1800-1900 so it had a long run in furniture fashion in america.
Here is an Empire piece attributed to Duncan Phyfe at the MET, it's attributed because Phyfe almost never signed his work, the putz!

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2014, 03:27:12 am »
At $600. I think you did well & could not buy the lumber that is in your cabinet for that. Empire can go for big money, naturally condition plays an important role in value for almost any piece of antique furniture, i say "almost" because if say your cabinet was signed by Phyfe for instance, condition becomes much less important.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 03:29:54 am by jacon4 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2014, 07:02:46 am »
Could be either wood,, my personal opinion is mahogany simply because it was the most commonly used and the pic of the column looks like it !! But hard to tell from a pic !! Like Jacon4 said,, don`t sweat the small stuff !! Its a nice cabinet !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2014, 11:23:47 am »
No big whoop about the hardware like the others said!  They are original and can be restored if that is what you want!!  :)

The piece is very nice and classy looking! 

Majority of antiques have some type of face lift over the years (probably not as much as some people do to themselves these days!  LOL).  Unlike people, majority of simple paint updates aren't permanent and can be reversed!  :)

Think you did well for the money!  ENJOY IT!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2014, 08:33:06 pm »
Couldn`t see much on the book case (back and inside would help) !!  Unless I am utterly mistaken I would bet its a walnut bookcase, from around 1900 !! Need to see more pics !! Am I right that it doesn`t have a pull on the door,, just insert key, turn and pull to open ??

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 02:26:10 am »
Agrees, guesses 1900, glass door book case, i dont really see a style on this one but i cant see it very well either. It's worth pointing out that old furniture really can not be evaluated or authenticated with pic's alone, that sort of thing requires personal inspection by someone who is familiar with the style, fashion or piece.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 02:57:13 am by jacon4 »

cdburke

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 09:50:41 pm »
Mart/Jacon -- some photos below since you mentioned not being able to see.  Mart suggested I post clearer pics.  I definitely understand about the evaluation/authentication -- just want to have a better idea about it generally. 

I lightened up the photos since the book case is so dark.  Also, it's on wheels (as you can see below).  Thanks!

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2014, 04:27:31 am »
well, your cab could be english or recent immigrant to NY. Empire was very popular pretty much everywhere at the turn of the 19th century, it's downside was that it was expensive to build so not many could afford it. Generally speaking, english furniture has oak secondary wood, i can't tell from pic's what yours is but it doesn't look like oak.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 04:49:05 am by jacon4 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2014, 09:49:20 am »
I did not see any oak in the secondary wood either !! Of the links you posted only one was stated as American made !! Truthfully,, there is little way to really know once it is here in the U.S other than in the most minute details !! The others are in the UK !!
Back in the 1970`s there were shiploads of furniture purchased in the UK for pennies on the dollar and brought here !! I bought quite a bit of it when I had my shop !! Many pieces were Empire style as yours is !! The problem was over the years many people who purchased these,,and were told by dealers that they were American made, sold them as American made !! History is lost after it passes through several hands !! Not that they would have known the difference anyway !!  Its possible that is where this one came from !! Peoples memories are notoriously bad when it comes to remembering where furniture came from after it has been in their home 40 or 50 years !!
That could account for the grille work which was not common here !!

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2014, 11:24:18 am »
Yep, agrees with Martha on that. I can't even tell for sure what the primary wood is, nevermind secondary. All that can be done from the internet is give general observations, to get more than that requires a personal inspection preferably on a padded elevated turnstile with 1000 watts or so of halogen light. Photo's just won't cut it as there are just to many variables, tool marks, species of wood, etc. that photo's just do not reveal.
You should be able to find a local network of collectors/dealers that specialize in Empire where you live that could be much more specific if they could see your cabinet in person. Generally speaking, most collectors/dealers are more than happy to share info, show their collection, talk you to death about objects they collect.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 11:41:25 am by jacon4 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2014, 11:42:28 am »
I think that it is worth a closer inspection as Jacon4 said !!  Then let us know what is said !!  And on a secondary note,,most of the links you gave also had been slightly altered,,, repro pulls, re-gilded ect !! That's why we said not to be too concerned about that !!

cdburke

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2014, 11:59:23 am »
Thanks!  I'll let you all know when I figure it out...