Author Topic: Tool with Screw Tip, Concave Blade and Handle  (Read 2296 times)

frank1492

• View Profile
Tool with Screw Tip, Concave Blade and Handle
« on: January 12, 2015, 09:28:58 pm »
See photo. Screw tip adjacent to small concave blade, shank and wood handle. 1800's maybe? 6-8 inch length.
Any ideas? Thanks. Frank.

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: Tool with Screw Tip, Concave Blade and Handle
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 10:10:31 pm »
Hello and Welcome Frank;

You have a nice example of a "Gimlet" tool. Most every carpenter would have had one in his tool chest back
100+ years ago.
http://www.history.org/almanack/life/tools/tlaug.cfm

frank1492

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 11:26:05 pm »
Thank you so much. I am doing database work for the Glocester Heritage Society in Chepachet, RI. The town historian who is extremely knowledgeable did not know the answer. She will be thrilled!
     I am sure I will post again on occasion. Again, thank you.
     Frank Pfeiffer
     Member, Glocester Heritage Society

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 03:09:05 am »
I have a set which I purchased a few years ago that are hanging on a nail in my garage and are like the ones pictured below. They are pretty much a necessity when using tapered wood screws for installing door or cabinet hinges. etc.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 02:18:40 pm »
Applaud you Rauville for a quick answer and you cogar for nice examples!

Welcome frank1492.  Hope you come back to help lend some help as well.  Please share some of the exciting items you are categorizing!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

frank1492

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 04:08:55 pm »
Thank you all. Occasionally we have an item that stumps us. Will be sure to post again!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 06:53:20 pm »
I am assuming these are used instead of our power drills for starting/pre-drilling holes for hardware ect ??

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 04:51:49 am »
Right you are, Mart, but they are more precise than using an electric drill. With its sharp “point” you hit the center point of the screw hole every time. And you can control the depth of the hole in ¼” to 3/4” wood a whole lot easier than you can with an electric drill.

The "dark"grain in the wood, especially oak, will often cause a drill bit to “jump” off center whereas with the gimlet you can keep the hole centered by tilting the handle until the “threads” gets a good bite into the wood.

And I had better explain what I meant by this statement, to wit:

They are pretty much a necessity when using tapered wood screws for installing door or cabinet hinges. etc.”

I should have stated …….. “for installing hinges, latches, etc. on clocks, jewelry boxes, etc, …. or on doors or cabinets if the wood is ½” or less in thickness.”

All of those gimlets have a “threaded” feed-screw point like an auger bit, …. like so, to wit:

So, when installing “wee” small wood screws …… then pick the gimlet that its “feed-screw” matches the threads of the screw that you are using ….. and then twist the gimlet into the wood and then back it out (un-twist it) ….. and you have a “threaded” hole for the wood screw.

No fuss, no muss ....... and no splintered wood. ;D ;D ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 08:18:31 pm »
I try not to use a drill if at all possible !!  My favorite tool for the same thing ,, small finish nail !!  Couple of taps with a hammer then just remove with fingers and start the screw !!