Author Topic: Does anyone have any information on this chair?  (Read 4359 times)

Louherz

• View Profile
Does anyone have any information on this chair?
« on: January 18, 2015, 09:54:25 am »
Hello all, several years ago I was in BerlinGermany at a flea market.  I saw this chair and fell in love with it.  The owner said it came from a castle, but didn't have much more information on it.  Does anyone know anything about it? Age? Style? Value? Area that it could have come from? Thank you for your help.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 09:59:37 am by Louherz »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Does anyone have any information on this chair?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 01:04:53 pm »
Can you please reduce the size of these pics a little bit,, to about 2000kb ??  When I enlarge them to see the detail they just blur because of the size and lose detail !!  I am on dial up so that's the reason I ask !!

Louherz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 04:05:33 pm »
Sorry for the delay. I am working off of my phone and had to figure out how to reduce the photo size.  I think that I figured it out.  Thank you for looking.

Louherz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 04:05:34 pm »
Sorry for the delay.  I'm working off of my phone and had to figure out how to reduce the size.  I think that I did it.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 07:20:55 pm »
Well those are a bit too small but that's OK !! I am pretty sure you have a 20th century reproduction !!  Machine made !! May have came from a castle but,, even castles can have modern furniture !!  Did you ask which castle it came from ??

Louherz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 09:17:39 pm »
Thank you for the information.  My German is not the greatest.  I did good to get that it was old and came from a castle.  I guess I'm lucky that I haggled him down and that I like it.  I really thought it was old, what a shame.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 06:37:28 am »
The turnings and carvings look pretty new !!  If you get a chance and its not too much trouble you can make the last three pics about 2000kb and at that size they should enlarge clearly and I will take another look to be sure !! Or just wait till a few of our other members chime in on this chair !!  It is what I call Victorian Gothic !! Is the seat portion fairly low ??

Louherz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 09:47:15 am »
Here are some more photos.  I've increased the size and taken some additional shots.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 12:22:44 pm »
I have looked closely and carefully and still,,,everything I see says a 20th century chair !! Even the varnish !! Yes I know it may have been refinished but I do not think so !!  Saw no evidence of a refinish !!  Even so,, get others opinions as well !! Several heads are better than one !! 

Louherz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 01:07:22 pm »
Thank you for the information. Would you say early or late 20th century?  Either way, I love the chair and it will always remind me of my time in Germany.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 02:43:15 pm »
Most likely mid century !! Although you can give it a few years either way !!  Best you can do with furniture is a general timeline !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 08:12:29 am »
After procrastinating for awhile I’ve decided to “chime in” on this one.

I’ll have to agree with Mart on this one and say it is mid 20th or later. Now I could be wrong, and often am, but to me it just has that “new” look, meaning that the patina of the wood is not one of an old chair.

Most all types of wood, when exposed to “light” for many years, will “darken” with age due to a photo-chemical reaction when the “light” strikes the exposed surface grain of the wood. And not all of the “surface” wood of a piece of furniture is exposed to the same amount or intensity of “light” at all times, thus there is usually always slight variations in its patina.

I remember when my father was installing new “clear pine” molding around a door casing and when he started putting varnish on it I ask why he wasn’t going to “stain” it first to match the other wood. He replied, … “NAH, it will darken up after awhile and look just fine”.  ......... And it did just that.

And looking at the picture showing the “dust cover” on the underside of the seat …. it infers to me that the chair has never been re-upholstered or refinished.

But anyway, …. this is what I think an early Barley Twist chair should more like, to wit:

Carved Barley Twist Chairs
https://clshopper.wordpress.com/2010/04/27/carved-barley-twist-chairs/

My final word is, it’s a beautiful chair and iffen you “luv it” then that’s all that matters because you can’t put a price on “memories”.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 08:55:57 am »
My final word is, it’s a beautiful chair and iffen you “luv it” then that’s all that matters because you can’t put a price on “memories”.

Well given advice cogar!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2015, 09:10:57 am »
You can also see the dark areas on the low points of Cogar`s chair pic !!  That happens over time and can be because of dust, polish build up or wax, age and only hitting the high points when polishing or dusting !!  I do not see those areas on your chair !!  But that said,, like Cogar and KC said,, if you like it,, you made a good buy !!  Old or not isn`t really important !!  I and others here have things that are not old but,, we like them !!

Louherz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2015, 07:36:12 pm »
Thank you all for the information. I have learned a lot from your posts. I do love the chair and will cherish it for the rest of my life.  I appreciate it.