Author Topic: Need help identifying this old lamp  (Read 3648 times)

Drew Douglass

• View Profile
Need help identifying this old lamp
« on: January 22, 2015, 07:37:35 pm »
I inherited this lamp from my grandmother, but I don't know who made it or it's history.  It's metallic and very heavy, and seems to have been re-wired at some point.  It works very well.  The designs on the piece feature sailboats and windmills.  I cannot find any identification markings.  I've attached 3 images to assist.  Thank you very much in advance!

mart

• View Profile
Re: Need help identifying this old lamp
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 07:53:23 pm »
Hi there and welcome to the forum !!  Nice lamp !! Have you looked at the bottom well ?? Might be hard to see !!  Did it ever have globes around the bulbs ??

Drew Douglass

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 08:03:25 pm »
Thanks for the reply... yeah I've looked pretty thoroughly and haven't seen anything that stands out.  Any idea what I'd be looking for?  As far as globes around the bulbs I have no idea.  I inherited it as pictured, and never saw it prior to that.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 09:17:04 pm »
Is the base metal or glass?  Reminds me of carnival glass in appearance.

Mart, close up of the 4 lights doesn't seem there were globes but were to look as if flowers hanging down.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Drew Douglass

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 09:22:16 pm »
The entire lamp is 100% metal... I know that the color that reflects off is kind of odd, but it only seems to look like that in the camera flash.  In normal light it's a very dark shiny copper / brown color.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 02:31:49 am »
If it was re-wired then maybe the bulb sockets were also replaced ………

T’would look better (to me) with little globes or the bulb sockets more recessed.

Like so maybe ............

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 10:32:56 am »
That's what I was thinking of Cogar !! That description sounds like bronze !!  What I was talking about looking for could possibly be initials or a symbol of some kind that would be the foundry mark !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 12:03:18 pm »
That is what I thought as well...but from the picture enlarged...doesn't appear there is room for a globe.  Could just be the picture!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 02:33:14 pm »
I can see the metal base of the bulb so there should have been plenty of room for a globe !!  The globes were held in place when the light bulb was screwed in !! No external screws !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 02:41:18 pm »
Many times these were called tulip lamps by the general public - not necessarily by the manufacturers/makers or industry.

Drew Douglass

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 03:30:29 pm »
The lamp was rewired at some point, and the word "Roberts" is on a little box at the base of the unit with what appears to be voltage info. 

I did a search for "Roberts" and "Lamps" on Google and it mentioned a "Fred Roberts" company but really didn't include much info or any images that matched what I've got.  I'm thinking the "Roberts" thing might be part of the rewiring effort but not sure.  I will try to get pictures of the base and scan it again for any imprints.  I also scanned 3 pages of "vintage tulip lamp" and found nothing.

As far as the presence of glass shades, that's a mystery.  I received this piece about 10 years ago as-is, and my mother knew almost nothing about it.  She claims it belonged to my great-grandmother but I'm skeptical about that.  (I'm 40 btw)

Thanks again for the help here folks.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 04:01:37 pm »
Here's the only other windmill metal lamp I can find similar
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/321613794206?clk_rvr_id=768259084284&rmvSB=true

Drew Douglass

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 04:11:30 pm »
Yupp KC you found it... I think it might be a Miller Lamp / Candelabra.  I found this as well... very similar.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2015, 06:20:26 am »
I want to forewarn you that if you start looking for glass shades for your lamp ….. they can get costly. ;D ;D

Set of 3 Yellow Glass Lamp Shades S840

Set of three original, quality 1920's, bright yellow glass, bell shaped, lamp shades, to fit standard, modern, UK electric bulb holders. The first we have seen of this simple but brilliant model, complete and in good order. 4.25" tall x 5.25" widest. Price is for the set.    Price: £185.00

http://www.belowstairs.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Lamp_Shades_45.html