Author Topic: THE BRAMLEY-MOORE MEDAL to Captain William Haskell in Gold????  (Read 11733 times)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: THE BRAMLEY-MOORE MEDAL to Captain William Haskell in Gold????
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 03:11:42 pm »
Micaela, DEFINITELY HAS VALUE!  For one, it is Gold if it is the original one.  For historical purposes, it is the only gold one made AND was for a sea rescue.

The Liverpool Shipwreck and Humane Society would probably like it as well as maritime collectors and historical medal collectors.
Let us know what you hear from them!

ccchhhrrriiisss I had previously found where there were several Captain Haskells.  Will look at the stoioes.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 11:59:20 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ccchhhrrriiisss

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 04:10:26 pm »
I agree!  I would love to hear how this plays out. 

What a great story!

:)

micaela

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 05:18:20 pm »
Hi The  LIVERPOOL SHIPWRECK & HUMANE SOCIETY respond me the vice chairman:
The most important to me he says is:
"As an added interest I also collect medals for life saving, so you can imagine my delight in receiving the e-mail.

Your contact and pictures are very interesting indeed. The Gold Bramley-Moore medal has never been seen before it has been assumed to have been lost in a similar     
manner as one of our Gold Fire medals, (melted down to provide for family needs, a long time ago).

It looks as though it may be a genuine medal, the engraving of the words around the rim looks good, and, the obverse and reverse of the medal look good. 

The medal is incomplete, ( not a major problem) as it needs ribbon and a Gold Suspender, similar to the silver ones on some of the medals on our web site, ( these     
can be obtained as either used items or one could be made, not a huge cost so don't worry). The condition of the medal (from the photographs) is not pristine, but it does     
look to be in a better than fine condition, there appear to be a couple of edge knocks, which is never good."

Obviously to certify it they would have to see it in person.

Mica

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 07:51:26 pm »
I hope Michaela, that you do plant to have it verified !! Even with the edge dings,, it is still the only one out there !!  Let us know what you decide !!  And keep us updated about the medal even if you decide to sell it !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2015, 02:09:49 pm »
Micaela,

I agree with Mart!

And the edge dings won't be that big of an issue because it is the ONLY ONE and IT IS GOLD!!!!

Let us know what you do and find out about value!

So excited for you!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

micaela

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2015, 05:23:50 pm »
Really nobody tell me an approximative value. We will see that it happens. I will publish it in ebay and to see that happens.

mica

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2015, 06:37:02 pm »
Be sure to post the ebay link here so we can watch !! We are all excited !! This medal may be very valuable !!   How are you going to advertise the sale to potential buyers !! That is important if you want top dollar !! The more people know about the medal and its sale date the better !!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 06:42:43 pm by mart »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2015, 09:40:49 am »
Micaela, unless you are in a great rush/need of money, I would take the time to research this one alot more!  Please!  AND if you do list...have a reserve worth it's weight in gold!

I am trying to find someone who can help with a cost and I am sure others are working on it as well.

Pelady

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2015, 12:09:15 pm »
Just a thought:  because this is related to shipwreck off Martha Vinyard ( a very wealthy summer community off the coast of Massachusetts) I would certainly make sure when you do sell it you do advertise it well there and in the New Bedford MA area.  Perhaps even wait until the Summer season.

PeLady Plymouth MA
Plymouth, America's Home Town.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2015, 06:37:20 pm »
I think this deserves a top notch auction house !!  They can handle the research, advertise to the right buyers, and make more from the sale than you might by selling on ebay !!  Or almost as good,, would be to let them know you have the medal !!  Word would get around !!  And whatever you do,,,do not sell that piece of furniture it was found in !! Keep it,, that might be the only way to verify the medal,, by tracing the furniture it was found in !!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 06:39:53 pm by mart »

micaela

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2015, 08:15:02 pm »
the auction house spink contact me and tell me he like sell the medal for me. But I send to him. I respond I like know the estimate value. I dont send without insurance.
mica

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2015, 09:34:19 pm »
Which auction house did you contact ??  I would not let the medal out of your hands !!  They can come to you !! Or you can take it to them !!  This is a one of a kind, historically important item !! Don`t send it,, at all !!   Get several top auction houses involved !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2015, 09:39:47 pm »
Agree!!! 

micaela

• View Profile