Author Topic: Antique Lidded Crystal Bowls on Gilded Cast Bases  (Read 1949 times)

curlykid2

• View Profile
Antique Lidded Crystal Bowls on Gilded Cast Bases
« on: February 03, 2015, 03:47:51 pm »
Can anyone help identify these? Are they French ? D'ore? Neoclassical Period? Any help would be appreciated!
A pair of antique lidded crystal bowls on gilded cast bases. The bowls have a ball shape and feature intricate cut fan, star and diamond pattern throughout. The lid has an acorn finial attached to a round plate with embossed berry and vine motif. The unique tripod support are figural busts of a woman with curved bodies and claw feet, attached to a round base. An embossed pattern of laurel leaf decorates the border to the top and the border to the base. These are seemingly unmarked. Dimensions: 5.0" W x 6.5" H x 5.0" D

mart

• View Profile
Re: Antique Lidded Crystal Bowls on Gilded Cast Bases
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 07:12:33 pm »
In looking at the close up of the  ladies bust the outside edges of the glass appear to be smooth,, the border may be wheel cut !! I think this is pressed glass with wheel cut highlights !! 

curlykid2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 11:00:08 am »
So maybe not even antique?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 04:56:45 pm »
I didn`t say that !!  They are very nice and probably 1900 or before !! But without knowing what the glass is its kind of difficult to find !! have you looked carefully with a magnifying glass to see if it has a makers name !! Check the glass and the stand,, under over and all around them !!  if the glass is marked will likely be on the bottom !! Turn the stand over and check underneath !! A glass mark will be small and etched into the glass !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 07:13:21 pm »
I simply cannot tell from these pictures.  They have made many repros over the years.  One of those items I would have to see up close and personal.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 07:45:45 pm »
I saw a few listed as French Crystal with bronze stands !!  But like KC says,, this may need to be a hands on !!  Pics just don`t show enough !!

curlykid2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 01:47:46 pm »
Thanks all - CHecking glass with a magnifier and I'll let you know if I find anything.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 05:37:43 pm »
Do let us know !!

curlykid2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 01:00:29 pm »
I could not see any markings on the glass or stand. Maybe taking it to a local appraiser? Thanks for your help!