Author Topic: Valuation & Opinion on Ladies writing/sowing seat  (Read 3305 times)

K4trn

Valuation & Opinion on Ladies writing/sowing seat
« on: February 08, 2015, 06:36:45 am »
I inherited this antique Ladies writing desk /seat or sowing seat but I don't know much about it.  I've attached two images of it.
I'd love to get an idea of age and value as unfortunately I need to sell it now.  It's been in my family for at least 50 years.
It's in immaculate condition although is missing the key to lock the inside shelf.
The four castor wheels all work.  I don't actually know what it's use was.

Ignore the material it has been recovered in - it has been recovered about 3 times that I know of.

Apologies if I have not used this forum in the correct way, it's the first time I've ever used this site! 
Please point me in the right direction if I need to do something differently. 
Thanks in advance

mart

• View Profile
Re: Valuation & Opinion on Ladies writing/sowing seat
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 08:34:11 am »
You are fine in forum use and welcome to the group !!  What an unusual thing !!  I have not seen one made like that !!  Are you here in the U.S or UK ??  Reminds me of an English piece !!

K4trn

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 09:53:05 am »
Hi
Thanks!  I'm from the UK and its definitely an English piece of beautiful furniture.  I can't find anything like it either anywhere, hence the post to help me value it.
Apprecaite the reply and welcome :-)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 05:45:33 pm »
Have you looked on the underside for a stamp or makers name ??  I am beginning to wonder if this is not a marriage of two separate pieces !!  Maybe take a pic of the underside if not too much trouble !!  Are both the desk part and the bench made of the same wood ??

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 10:32:37 pm »
Reminds me of a telephone seat.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 07:16:39 am »
KC, that was my thoughts also ...... but I didn't want to "say so" because it would have dated it circa 1950's or later.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 08:01:49 am »
That is why I thought maybe a marriage of two pieces !!

Pelady

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 10:30:14 am »
I am not a furniture expert by any means but I have a few thoughts on this.  It has a few clues that make me think it is a sowing/writing rather than telephone table and a few about age.
 Casters: telephones were hard wired and where usually in one spot in a room so furniture for it would not need casters. Sowing/writing is always easier in good light so MAYBE it is from a time that was pre-electric light and could be moved to window, fireplace, etc. 
 The writing surface:  flips up so a phone would not sit on it.
 The width of the seat makes me think it was from a time when women had big skirts.
 The drawer is something you see in so many sowing chairs, tables, and baskets, for scissors and such.

Hopefully some of our UK members can weight in on value.  You have a very pleasant piece with some nice inlay.

PeLady
Plymouth, America's Home Town.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 11:37:10 am »
Can you take a pic of the dovetail joints on the side of the drawer ?? The pic doesn`t enlarge enough for me to see them !!  While I do not think this is what we know as a telephone seat,, I do not think this piece dates older than the 40`s !! The pattern in the back is similar to Chippendales design that was used during that era !!

K4trn

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 01:32:29 pm »
thank you all for your replies - I'll get some more pictures taken in the daylight tomo, including the castors, the underneath, the dovetail joints etc.  I really appreciate your input as I have no history and no clue about this pretty seat

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 01:53:11 pm »
Its very nice,, I even like the upholstery !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 02:40:00 pm »
Pelady, the reasons/observations why I say telephone bench is because:

The phone would fit nicely inside the pop up area.  (Sewing items would have to be crammed in and slammed on.)
The drawer would hold pencil/pen/note pad
The HIGH SIDE of the bench would make it troublesome to sew - elbows would hit constantly - yet you could sit     
      easily straight forward or at an angle and converse.
As for the casters, general purpose was to make it easier to clean.  Also, wheels became a style.  You see light
      weight chairs with casters on them and know that they are just as easy to move without them. 

http://www.antiquetrader.com/antiques/furniture_detective_antique_castors

If you search "upholstered telephone bench" or "Gossip Bench" you will see that they generally have tall sides and backs to the seating and come with all kinds of configurations of shelving, drawers, stowing.  It does carry some of the characteristics of an old "Bustle Bench" but they didn't have the storage areas

The search is on....
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 03:04:02 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Pelady

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 03:33:58 pm »
Thanks for the info KC.
Plymouth, America's Home Town.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2015, 04:57:07 pm »
What I don`t get about this bench is if you sit in front of the desk writing would be awkward !! You have to turn sideways !!  I would not want to write many letters at one time using it !!