Author Topic: Porcelain Doll with Dresden Germany markings  (Read 3480 times)

SixtyVette

• View Profile
Porcelain Doll with Dresden Germany markings
« on: February 20, 2015, 10:27:08 am »
As I mentioned in my New Member post, I have many items from the estate of my 91 year old uncle.  Here it the first.

I have tried searching on Dresden Germany Trademarks, found a site that listed the trademarks, but was unable to find a trademark the matched what is on the bottom of the doll.  I know my uncle served in the Navy in WWII and was in Germany, so I can only assume he purchased it there in the mid 40's (my best guess)

Any information provided will be appreciated.  Looking possible background on the manufacturer and value!

Thanks in advance!!!!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 10:34:30 am by SixtyVette »

Pelady

• View Profile
Re: Porcelain Doll with Dresden Germany markings
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 01:43:11 pm »
This looks very similar
 http://www.figurines-sculpture.com/pottery-mark-query-cross-swords-with-letters-r-p-plus-words-germany-and-dresden.html

I would use the term porcelain figurine or lace figurine.   Cross swords with letter m & b ?  Hard to tell from your photo.  Is the mark on the piece is smeared...?

PeLady
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 01:53:20 pm by Pelady »
Plymouth, America's Home Town.

SixtyVette

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 01:53:36 pm »
Thanks - yes is does look similar.  Couple questions - why are my enlarged photos sideways - is it the way I uploaded - did I do something wrong?

Not sure I understand what you mean by cross swords m b - from what I can tell - there is no lettering in/on the swords.

Thanks!

Pelady

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 02:02:07 pm »
Not sure about the photos sometimes mine come out sideways but when they are clicked on are right side up.
Seems to work best when I post from a computer or lap top and not from my iPad.

Read all of the comments on the link I sent it talks about letters on the swords I guess the sword guards or handles include a letter.  Might not be your mark if you do not have letters. One of our members Chris is an expert on marks.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 02:13:21 pm by Pelady »

SixtyVette

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 02:12:11 pm »
Ok about the pics - not sure either.

I did read through the link you sent - mine have nothing resembling letters at the bottom of the sword handles.   I actually found the exact marking doing a google search, this may be clearer - this is my mark!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 03:04:55 pm »
The crossed swords is the later Meissen mark who supplied the unfinished pieces for the Dresden artists !!  Dresden style is a painting technique rather than a brand name and is the area where most of the artists were located !!  This mark is different from the Meissen crossed swords but there were many look-a-like marks used !!  Where did you find the one in your google search ??

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 03:19:43 pm »
http://www.porcelainmarksandmore.com/resources/unidentified-marks/germany/index.php

Third image in second row is your mark !! Either fake or unidentified mark !!

SixtyVette

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 03:23:24 pm »
Cool - thanks!  So basically this has no value since it cannot be proven via the mark?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 05:01:34 pm »
I would just say "unidentified" mark !!  Its still Dresden so maybe not as much value as known marks and signed pieces but surely a family heirloom !! As we all know,, it isn`t all about money !!

SixtyVette

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 06:43:33 pm »
Mart, I hear what you are saying, but unfortunately when it comes to settling an estate - value does matter!  Unless you have been through it - can become VERY nit-picky!  Thus I am trying to find values on some items.  I came across a pair of sea horses that I just thought was glass, and found out they are worth $6,000.00 - so you never know!  LOL

Pelady

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 07:03:43 pm »
Seahorses, were they candle sticks?  Sandwich Glass..?   would love to see them.

Oh my goodness settling an estate could take forever.   Have you thought about a professional?

Pelady

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 07:05:47 pm »
Oh !!  I get it now !! Best way to find an accurate value for todays market is just to look on ebay and see what similar dolls are actually selling for !! Not asking/start prices but completed sales !! They do not have to be the same thing just close with a similar mark.  And by the way,, can you post a pic of those sea horses and give a bit of info,, would like to see them and hear that story !!

SixtyVette

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 07:53:39 pm »
Sure - will do it monday (dont have pic here at home).  Here is the site I found the value on - the pic is not my actual picture - but the sea horses I have are exactly the same!

https://www.antiquehelper.com/item/341207