Author Topic: Cameo Ring  (Read 1903 times)

idig

• View Profile
Cameo Ring
« on: February 23, 2015, 10:27:19 pm »
Found this beauty metal detecting today,seems quite old.  I did heat a needle to test to see if it was plastic and its not.Set in brass Any idea on age? thanks

WinstonNorth

• View Profile
Re: Cameo Ring
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 02:07:02 pm »
I don't know a lot about these but using a google search there are a lot of similarities to vicotrian/edwardian cameo jewelry, and the color looks like angelskin coral. I haven't found the exact one you have but if you have some time to search the pictures you may find it.

Pelady

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 04:42:36 pm »
This is good site with some quick references on dating Cameos.

http://www.victorianbazaar.com/cameos.html

PeLady
Plymouth, America's Home Town.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 06:00:05 pm »
Did you find anything on the inside of the ring ??  Brass was a common mount around 1900 !! Many people could not afford gold mounts but brass gave them a similar look at little cost !!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 07:40:42 pm »
How fun to find such a neat ring!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 08:52:52 pm »
NICE!!!

Can you please post a picture of the back side of the ring?

When you hold it up to light does it allow light to come through?

Just off hand it appears to be shell. 

Hold the cameo between two fingers - if it stays cool - it is natural shell or stone.  If it warms immediately, it isn't.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 09:02:19 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

idig

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 08:52:49 pm »
It is brass and not gold, and I agree it does seem like shell, it's not plastic. Curious what the pink is in the background?. The rings pretty small and a little bent, probably been sitting in the lake for close to a 100 years. Here's a better picture of the front and a pic of the back.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 12:29:53 am »
Generally, cameo's had open backs and not solid - reason is because it depends on the light to come through to help with the color/highlights.  
Like this:

If it was shell....the pink/orange color of a shell is what shows as being the background when the white/off white/pale part of the shell is carved away to reveal a carving aka cameo.  Also notice in the picture, a shell doesn't sit flat but is curved.

Cameos were made of stone, lava, bone, etc.  The closer look I get at your piece it doesn't resemble shell.  Cameos need a hands on for a proper identification.  Do you have a local jeweler you can take it to?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 12:36:47 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!