Author Topic: Mystery Copper Stag Weathervane  (Read 1270 times)

hwbowles

• View Profile
Mystery Copper Stag Weathervane
« on: February 24, 2015, 09:13:59 pm »
We found this vane in western Virginia.  It is of heavy gauge copper, in many pieces soldered together.  It has been examined by three experienced dealer/appraisers and all agree it is likely early 20th century.  Does anyone know who or what factory would have made a unique vane like this?
thanks...hwb

wilhenri

• View Profile
Re: Mystery Copper Stag Weathervane
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 02:32:20 am »
Now that looks like Father Christmas missing Reindeer lol. It may well be a one off over here in the UK there are firms that make similar items and they are sold through garden centres Having said that this one looks very well made. It still may have been made by a local blacksmith or craft worker during the last century
Live as if you are to die tomorrow and learn as if you are to live forever
Mahatma Gandhi

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 08:48:18 am »
Yes,, You assume a factory but most of these are made by local blacksmiths !!  If factory made would not be worth a third of what they are !!  They can get pricey !!  Can I ask what you paid for it ??

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 08:23:13 am »
I bought a repro of one from a store that sold imports in the 80s. It was soldered and aged so well it would have fooled me had I not already known. It was a gift for someone who wanted it for a shed. Since that time I am afraid of saying anything regarding the age and origin of a weathervane. The store I bought it from had a half dozen different models that all looked amazingly genuine. One thing I can remark about is that copper left out in the weather for over 50 years or more will be completely green unless it has been cleaned. Most old weathervanes spent their lives on a barn roof until the barn came down or a storm blew them off.
I have seen old ones sell in the thousands at auction. A gilded version of yours sold for almost $8000.00. Most were handmade as Mart says and their are rarely two alike exactly.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 08:39:35 am by frogpatch »