Author Topic: 1896 archives:stolen antiques "Richard Lom's Schille Collection" "worth $20,000"  (Read 1090 times)

dls886

• View Profile
Hello, my name is Donni and I was hoping someone might be able to help out with some history on an antique collection. I don't have the item/items, just seeking information. I came across an 1896 news article about part of an antique Schille collection being stolen and can't find anymore. This may even be of some interest to the serious antique guru's out there.

The 1896 article is about a man in NY being robbed of $20,000 worth of antiques. They referred to the antiques as part of the "Schille collection," and "Robert Lom's Schille collection." They were bought by a man named Dr. Jahn who was away in England at the time of the robbery. Dr. Jahn left Walter Kline (described as being an antique expert) and Varming Kopf in charge of his antiques while travelling.

Two links below are the links for the articles in question. One is from an Austin, TX newspaper with the article starting on the bottom of the first column and continuing to the second. It's also the article found in many other areas that are worded nearly the same, if not identically. The second article, which is more informative than the other articles, is from Buffalo, NY. This article, starting on the third column titled Big Robbery, is where they refer to the antique collection as the "Richard Lom's Schille Collection." I cannot find anything else about Richard Lom, this specific Schille collection ("inlaid with silver and gold"), Walter Kline, or Varming Kopf.

Link 1 Buffalo, NY (give it a minute to load the article image): http://fultonhistory.com/Newspapers%2021/Buffalo%20NY%20Evening%20News/Buffalo%20NY%20Evening%20News%201896/Buffalo%20NY%20Evening%20News%201896%20-%200148.pdf

Link 2 Austin, TX:
http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth278784/m1/2/zoom/?q=austin%20american%20statesman

Also, I understand Alice Schille's artwork to be a valuable antique item, but these articles came out while she was still alive. Is this related to her at all? I've been trying to research the internet to no avail, which makes me even more curious!  :P Maybe I am just not searching for the right thing or in the right places? Any help would be much appreciated!  ??? ;D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 02:30:05 am by dls886 »