Author Topic: Old fireplace mantel  (Read 1643 times)

Jshin

• View Profile
Old fireplace mantel
« on: March 15, 2015, 12:32:52 am »
Hello, was looking  at my parents fireplace mantel and noticed it is pretty old. I don't know anything about this, tried to find info online but nothing. I don't see markings and the craftsmanship is really nice. I do not see any screws holding it together. Parents said its an old European mantel but I have no clue? Any help would be nice. Thanks jay
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 12:36:33 am by Jshin »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Old fireplace mantel
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 02:20:49 pm »
Can you check the pics ,,I think they are upside down !!

Pelady

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 03:22:05 pm »
They open right side up when you click on them Mart.  Jsjin is the mantel in front of another mantel?  Is the gold and white tile step part of the mantel you are asking about?

Pelady
Plymouth, America's Home Town.

Jshin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 03:25:19 am »
Hi, no it's the all brown wooden mantel

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 09:30:37 am »
This appears to be a custom fireplace surround/mantel made in English form incorporating a "what not" shelf/shelves in it's design.  Because of that element (which comprises turned/spindled supports/French acanthus) and the wood element I would surmise VERY late 1800's to early 1900's. 

The "What Not" shelf was an English take-off of a French Étagère that became extremely popular for displaying favorite items and nick-knacks.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Jshin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 03:21:06 am »
This appears to be a custom fireplace surround/mantel made in English form incorporating a "what not" shelf/shelves in it's design.  Because of that element (which comprises turned/spindled supports/French acanthus) and the wood element I would surmise VERY late 1800's to early 1900's. 

The "What Not" shelf was an English take-off of a French Étagère that became extremely popular for displaying favorite items and nick-knacks.

Thanks KC, yes it looks pretty old, unfortunately it does have a bad water stain, what would something like this be worth if I were to sell it?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 12:16:04 pm »
Where are you located?  That makes a big difference in what people are willing to pay.

In my area (D/FW Texas) there are big neighborhoods of older homes that are constantly being renovated/updated (from old to modern and then someone buys it and takes it from modern to old again). In my area, this would most likely go for $150 - $200.  In a store it could go for $300.

Fireplaces these days are much bigger in opening so it would have to be for an older home or a custom make fireplace...
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!