Poll

Any input on this sled? Vinatge or make?

Vinatge
0 (0%)
Make
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Sled  (Read 2388 times)

Woodrow

• View Profile
Sled
« on: March 24, 2015, 01:27:45 pm »
Looking for information on this sled, vintage or make?

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: Sled
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 02:47:16 pm »
From where I am it looks like a early 20th or late 19th century riding sled. As opposed to a working sled. I would like to see close ups as they are reproducing them in Asia and doing a great job in aging them. Where did you find it? Please show a picture of the bottom, the fasteners and any other details. It is a very nice piece.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 08:02:07 am »
Frogpatch, are the "curls" on the front a quick means of dating it? If original, that is.

Woodrow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 08:07:33 am »
Thank you for your input, I'll take more pics tonight after work. My previous home which I purchased from the daughter of a deceased gentleman in his 80's had a barn out back, they left this and other items. Attached is RR lantern I refinished.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 11:18:27 am »
From your story I am certain it is original. I had a similar one that was found in a barn in northern NJ. I just saw a vintage winter photo of kids with a similar sled from the news archives. I will try to find it. Yes, those curls are typical of early sleds. The cross member is sort of unusual. Larger ones were used for hauling firewood and other heavy items. Those would hook up to a mule or horse if needed. I imagine that a child could be pulled by an adult on this sled by tying to that cross member. Unlike Flexible Flyers, these did not steer well and were often sat upon and pulled. Usually the curls served as a place to tie. Here is a slightly more primitive version. http://www.southwestspiritantiques.com/dynapage/IP1134.htm  Put into Google images "antique childs pull sled" and you should see some examples. They are pretty rare and fetch as much as 500.00 to the right person. Yours could date as early as the mid 1800s but my gut tells me around 1890 because it is less primitive than early ones I have seen.
I wonder how many kids tried to tie the family dog to one?

« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 11:51:21 am by frogpatch »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 12:39:06 pm »
We have a old one passed down through the family that isn't as old as this one. It is in storage...but my dream is to make it into a coffee or side table for the family room!  :)

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Woodrow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 07:01:15 am »
Couple more pictures

Woodrow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 07:02:11 am »
Bottom

Woodrow

• View Profile