Author Topic: Imperial Violin Amati  (Read 3925 times)

btcomp

• View Profile
Imperial Violin Amati
« on: March 29, 2015, 04:09:17 pm »
My grandfather, born in Poland-Austria (1876) died in 1935, played a violin. I remember dad, uncle & aunt telling. When my dad passed away, I brought the violin back. It's an Imperial Violin Amati. I am not sure the year, but the music is copyright from 1923. I am thinking maybe very early 1900s. It's not in the greatest shape, but would be playable, if the broken string were replaced. I am just wondering what's its worth. The song that he was working on is the Danube Waves Waltz, which I listened to on YouTube, which is quite familiar & I liked. The song book is some Polish waltzes.  :)

btcomp

• View Profile
Re: Imperial Violin Amati
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 04:11:06 pm »
Here is a picture of the case, and some of the music.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 05:00:00 pm »
MOST IMPORTANT POINT FIRST.....this gorgeous FAMILY HEIRLOOM will ALWAYS be worth MORE than any monies!!!!!!  Beautiful piece of family history!

See if you can see anything INSIDE of the violin.

This site should help
http://mewzik.com/resources/violin/

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

btcomp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 06:00:46 pm »
Thanks KC. I looked inside and can't see any writing. Thanks for the link. I see why the bow string disintegrated. I would definitely look into a cheap case replacement. My guitar case has the same problem, I guess warmth & humidity does a number on them. I will probably have to have someone take a look at it.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 06:51:16 pm »
I've never seen that model , or such , with a carved headstock like on yours (not that I've seen every one made  :D), so perhaps it is not an original Amati violin , btcomp .

It looks like a nice example of a baroque violin , from what little I can see with these old peepers , or made in the style of such instruments .

If indeed  it is a Amati family violin , Girolamo Amati (1649-1740) was the last of the line of the violin makers .

Amati violins (specific ones , mind you) have sold for above 200,000 USD .

There might be a name on the bridge , so it's worth inspecting , as well as the bow , for sometimes bows are high in value too !
If you've got a little 'Maglite" flashlight with a fiber-optic attachment , it will work well for inserting into the F-holes , in conjunction with a small dental mirror , for really checking for a sig &/or small interior marking .

Hope your cool little item is the real McCoy , btcomp !!!!!

I can't exactly tell if the tuning pegs all match exactly (not uncommon to replace tuning pegs) , which would be a plus if they do .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

btcomp

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 08:35:17 pm »
Fancy Pants, Thanks. I don't have a fiber optic light to look. May have to look into Harbor Freight maybe.

I am thinking my grandfather's violin may be a Wilhelm Duerer version from 1895 or early 1900s. I sure do want to find out. I don't know much about my grandfather, he died in 1935 from a strangulated hernia, he wouldn't get repaired, because he didn't want to go into debt to pay. My dad and uncle tried to get him to have surgery, and both had felt bad years afterward. I know that it was only my grandfather's fault he didn't have the surgery, though I can understand not wanting to give his family debt.

I know my grandfather must have liked boxing matches. Some 1920s newspaper articles I found, and still have are cutouts of boxing events of the popular boxers of the time.

I have two chests of my grandfathers, my dad never would part with these. They were heavy to move, but they contain some of his craftsmen tools he used at Fisher Body, he was one of the craftsmen for these men, before they became the design team for General Motors.

I have not found any writings that my grandfather wrote, just of him. Maybe one day I will come across something.

Another thing is my uncle was a very fast shorthand reporter, in the army, and many notes that he wrote of the family are in short-hand though he would either write, type or even tape-record his shorthand later. I have much of that, but I don't know the language. I have books, but I need an extension on my life to spend the time on this great language of note-taking.

Pictures are of my grandfather's baptism paper I have, great shape from 1876 & the Fisher Body Craftmen shop, I have John Tomaszewski circled in red.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 12:44:25 pm »
I think you're right on the money , as to your thinking that your violin is a W. Duerer issue , btcomp !

These little guys usually have an 'extended length' rectangular label glued to the inside of the back , in the vicinity of the F-holes , with a company logo on the left-hand side of  label .
Sometimes these labels came loose &/or were removed , but there's usually a rectangular patch of glue in the 'proper place' , so there's that .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 06:44:01 pm »
Sounds like a fascinating man !! Good luck with the research and with the violin !!  Like Fancypants said,, be sure to check the bow,,many times they are worth as much if not more than the violins !!

btcomp

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 07:03:44 pm »
Thanks Mart & Fancy Pants. I did check the bow, it said Saxon. I have been going through old letters & once in a while come across some I haven't read before. Lots of old pictures too.