Author Topic: mission bell "for the complexion"  (Read 1346 times)

mari4201jayne

• View Profile
mission bell "for the complexion"
« on: March 29, 2015, 06:26:08 pm »
Hi I am new here and just registered because I cannot find much information  about the price and rarity online about this sign...
Hopefully you can help I do know that the company was bought by proctor and gamble and eventually shut there door down in 1987 but this sign is nowhere to be found a far as I could find anyways.Maybe a little help would greatly be appreciated thanks...

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: mission bell "for the complexion"
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 08:34:42 pm »
White King/Mission Bell was made by Los Angeles Soap Company.

"John A Forthmann, a German immigrant, started a homemade soap company in Los Angeles in 1860. Originally his soap was rendered from animal fat but when floating Ivory soap was marketed nationally by Proctor & Gamble in 1907, Forthmann developed his own vegetable-oil-based floating soap.

White King Granulated Soap can be used for your finest fabrics, hosiery and lingerie made form the purest vegetable oils.  Mission Bell Soap for your complexion!  The most delicate complexions are refreshed and cleaned with this mild soap.
As a regional private label producer, the Los Angeles Soap Company, whose White King label had become a California household staple for more than a century, could no longer compete on a global basis due to intense competition and thus, announced it closure in 1987.  White King/Mission Bell...Regional Brand?  -  Streetcar Advertising History

http://cld.bz/32hkiua#70

So, it says it closed - didn't say it was bought out by P&G!    Are you in California?

In fact, here is a more detailed history (in the LA DOWNTOWN NEWS) of the company and how MANY factors resulted in it's closing...not just what was stated in the article above:
http://www.ladowntownnews.com/news/a-true-soap-opera/article_ae63ac20-9ec4-53d4-a27d-678d9a5f915c.html
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 08:45:45 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mari4201jayne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 11:31:16 pm »
yes I am in Azusa,California about 20 minute drive from downtown LA...

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 10:21:43 am »
How big is the sign?  Composition?

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!