Author Topic: Stunning Figural Lamp - Resin? Italian?  (Read 1354 times)

mous

• View Profile
Stunning Figural Lamp - Resin? Italian?
« on: April 03, 2015, 12:36:52 am »
Hi all,
I have searched for many hours and days trying to gather some information on the history of a lamp I'm selling. I am unsure of the material this lamp is made of but am thinking it's most likely resin or alabaster. The only mark I can see is an impressed AB. The only similar item found so far is a pair of figures that someone is selling on gumtree that they have listed as resin, marked AB and italian.

Some further detail:
I purchased the lamp in Australia from an Estate.
The electrics are fully working.
It measures approximately 34cm high (not including shade) and 23cm wide.
Weighs approximately 3kgs.

Any information would be very much appreciated.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Stunning Figural Lamp - Resin? Italian?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 06:57:41 pm »
Have you done the hot pin test to see if it is resin ?? It looks like it is !! It does not look like alabaster to me but this old computer does not show color correctly !!  Alabaster is a stone and you should be able to tell by the feel !! Cold, hard and smooth !!  If resin you can hold a sewing needle or pin with pliers and heat the end red hot then press into the bottom where it doesn`t show and see if the pin goes in and it melts slightly !!  Will also have a smell similar to melted plastic,, a kind of chemical smell !!

mous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 04:52:12 pm »
Thanks for your reply Mart.

The lamp is definitely cold and smooth but it also does look like it melted a tiny bit with the pin test you suggested. I've attached a photo - the pin prick is within the black circle and looks a great deal bigger in the photo than it actually is as I magnified it. I couldn't smell anything but it does appear to have made a dent in the material so I'm guessing it is resin then? Would this make the piece of poor value?

Any other thoughts on its history, how it was made etc would be gratefully received.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 06:11:42 pm »
Yes,, I can see the spot !!  If it penetrated at all then it is a man made material !! Stone would have remained unchanged !!  While not as much value as others,,lamps in general can sell well !!  You can look on ebay for your area and see what similar lamps sell for and go from there !! I would get an approx value for you but until I buy a new computer I am limited on what I can do on this antique one !!  :D

mous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 04:48:45 am »
Thanks for your help Mart, much appreciated.

Does anyone have any thoughts or knowledge on A. Bacheriani http://www.jansantiques.com/Lot/jac1617.php? I'm searching for the artist of my piece and one of the few clues I have is the impression of AB on the rear. I thought the work by A. Bacheriani was along similar lines and of course the initials would match but then again I could just be clutching at straws.  :D